Jupiter is Diving's best kept secret - 05/11/2013 Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murfdizzle21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went out on the Kyalami with Capt Sl8r Charters and Scuba Works on Saturday May 11, 2013. Seas started out 1-2, by the end of the day they were probably 2-3's. Viz was 50-60 feet on Bonny's and 40-50 feet on Tunnels, nice north current. Water temp was 76-79 degrees. First dive was at Bonny's. Saw a 7 to 8 foot moray eel free swimming (I've been trying to capture this on video for a while now), and three large loggerhead turtles. The second dive was at tunnels, which never seems to disappoint. Started off by seeing the goliath grouper family (4 or 5) at the "tunnels" in the beginning, next we saw a large southern stingray, an 8 foot nurse shark cruising around, a loggerhead and a green turtle together (don't know what they were doing, they were splitting up when I got to them), then we got to the donut where the sharks were hanging out with another loggerhead turtle. We hung out at the donut for a while, more sharks showed up with another little green turtle too. All and all a great day of diving in Jupiter, I think were a bit spoiled in Jupiter sometimes having so many encounters with large marine animals on one dive. All footage shot by myself, Mickey or my friend Cameron. Shot with Gopro hero 3 and hero 1. WATCH IN HD. Thanks for watching, hope to see you on the water soon!

[video=youtube;Z0unMFVUXbo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0unMFVUXbo[/video]

I agree with you -- but it's not all large animals, either. We found the reef itself amazingly beautiful and photogenic, too. We were VERY pleasantly surprised with the quality of the diving in that part of Florida, and do want to go back.

Awesome! I'm diving Jupiter for the first time with Capt SL8R this weekend! Looks like I'm in for a treat!

I am usually very happy with Jupiter diving for those reasons you mentioned but I dove on Sunday and I did not see one large marine animal Viz was 30-40 ft Temp 77-79

I went out on the Kyalami with Capt Sl8r Charters and Scuba Works on Saturday May 11, 2013. Seas started out 1-2, by the end of the day they were probably 2-3's. Viz was 50-60 feet on Bonny's and 40-50 feet on Tunnels, nice north current. Water temp was 76-79 degrees. First dive was at Bonny's. Saw a 7 to 8 foot moray eel free swimming (I've been trying to capture this on video for a while now), and three large loggerhead turtles. The second dive was at tunnels, which never seems to disappoint. Started off by seeing the goliath grouper family (4 or 5) at the "tunnels" in the beginning, next we saw a large southern stingray, an 8 foot nurse shark cruising around, a loggerhead and a green turtle together (don't know what they were doing, they were splitting up when I got to them), then we got to the donut where the sharks were hanging out with another loggerhead turtle. We hung out at the donut for a while, more sharks showed up with another little green turtle too. All and all a great day of diving in Jupiter, I think were a bit spoiled in Jupiter sometimes having so many encounters with large marine animals on one dive. All footage shot by myself, Mickey or my friend Cameron. Shot with Gopro hero 3 and hero 1. WATCH IN HD. Thanks for watching, hope to see you on the water soon!

[video=youtube;Z0unMFVUXbo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0unMFVUXbo[/video]

Nice, thanks for sharing.
I noticed one of the sharks (at 3:00 4:10 and 5:24) has a hook in his mouth.

Great video as usual. I was all set to to go diving with Capt. SL8R tomorrow, but there aren't enough divers to make the trip worthwhile so the Kyalami won't be going out. I thought about going out with another charter, but decided to cancel diving for this weekend.

Thanks sean. I took this weekend off too. Hoping to dive again in a couple of weeks. Got a lot going on next weekend and won't be able to dive either.

Awesome video. It convinced me to finally plan a trip down for my wife and I for 4th of July weekend. I sure hope that people don't mind a couple of relative noobs (~10 dives) coming along for the fun.

Great video: I really like the sequence at about 3:25 with the shark and the turtle.

I recognized many of the locations on tunnels, but there were a couple of spots with sharks that I didn't recognize. I have not been to Bonny's in a long time, were any of the reef shark shots on Bonnies or were they all on Tunnels?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom