Just bought suit, how do you get this thing on???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Intrepid:
Go to the store. Buy a twelvepack of Miller Lite and two (2) tubes of personal lube.

For grins, go with your dive buddy and tell the young lady at the register that you're having a party tonight - together... :wink:

Go home. Crack a beer. Put on a pair of gym shorts and some white socks. If the thing has suspenders, roll the top part down inside out until you come to the suspenders. Ensure the suspenders are properly off to each side, or else you may deball yourself suddenly and unexpectedly when you try to stand up. Pull the sucker on like a pair of trou. Finish the rest of the beer and crack another one.

Stand up and work the suspenders over your shoulders, then roll up the trunk of the suit up to your pits. Grab a tube of lube. Better drink the rest of the second beer now or else when your hands are all lubed up you'll drop the damned thing and commit alcohol abuse all over the carpet. Remove your watch and any rings you may be wearing (or other bling). Lube up both your wrists and the backs of your hands. Run your arms down into the sleeves and work your hands gently through the latex seals. Don one at a time for now. Be careful you don't catch anything on the latex seals, they can rip easily. Once you've got both your arms in the sleeves, look up, and hooking your fingers inside the neck seal, gently stretch the neck seal open and pull the seal down over your head. It will feel tight around your neck. It's supposed to. If it bothers you you can get a plastic tube device that runs around your neck that you can fold the neck seal over when you're on the boat, but its more of a PITA to put on that it is to endure the seal. Besides, the seal will relax over time.

If you haven't got enough material to get the neck seal over your melon, try making sure you have the crotch of the suit up into your crotch - give yourself all the material you've got. (This is why the telescoping torso of the DUI suits make them comparatively easier to don...) If you still can't get the damned thing on, then you've purchased the wrong suit. I recommend you consume at least another 3 or 4 beers before you tell your wife that you have to box it up and send it back and then buy another one.....

Any more questions, just ask! :D (Unless you got a P-valve. You'll have to figure that one out on your own... :) )

Best with your new suit...

Doc

I wish I'd read this before I tried donning my first drysuit. I think this ought to be stickeyed!

Assuming I'm reading this right - 6'3" 200# in a Medium Large Tall? Not very familiar with Bare sizing, but that's probably gonna be tight to begin with.

Doc Intrepid:
Go to the store. Buy a twelvepack of Miller Lite and two (2) tubes of personal lube.
.Doc

where were you on friday arvo when i thought i would try on for the first time ever a drysuit, in the middle of a aussie summer... alone!

by the time hubby came home i was on the bedroom floor fighting hyperventilation and about to go into the shower to flood the suit like a michelan man!

those things need a health warning!

I had a skin in and out wet suit and I needed to use a mix of Johnsons baby shampoo and water to get it on. (no comments about get it on please, that is for another thread) Would this work for the dry suit? I am looking to purchase one myself.

almitywife, there's one inside DUI suits, I promise. Did you read it? :wink:

Don't feel bad almighty i did the same thing when i first got mine. Really excited to try it one and glad as h@@@ when someone helped me get it off. Now that i trimmed the seals it's a perfect fit.

Captain CaveMan:
I put my arms in first and then my head buy pulling the front over my head. very easy, should of came with instructions. try putting your head in first than your arms or just one arm and than your head than your other arm. make you last arm the one with the lowest part = to the zipper.

Anybody put their head in first. :confused::confused:

The neck and wrist seals are tight, can they be
Stretched using some object to make them a little looser?

NWCWdiver:
The neck and wrist seals are tight, can they be
Stretched using some object to make them a little looser?
I've heard mixed reports about that, but in my experience (with my own Bare ATR-HD), they should be trimmed to fit. When trimming, only take about a mm at a time, and avoid jagged edges. Remember, it's a lot easier to trim than it is to un-trim, so resist the temptation to take a big slice off all at once.

evensplit:
Assuming I'm reading this right - 6'3" 200# in a Medium Large Tall? Not very familiar with Bare sizing, but that's probably gonna be tight to begin with.
I don't think it'll be a problem. I have a large with a few inches taken off the legs, and it fits me great at 5'11" 240#. At 5'11" 280# I could barely squeeze into it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom