just curious

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Does the cave community have any certification levels that equate over to open water Dive Master, or does the Cave Pro route start at Instructor?

To be eligible to become a cave instructor, you first need to be an open water instructor. The process for becoming a cave instructor is more involved than it is for OW (at least for CDS and NACD). There is no cave divemaster.

Is the IANTD rating specifically for caves or technical diving in general?

Is the IANTD rating specifically for caves or technical diving in general?

There are several training pipelines for Technical Dive Supervisor, Tec, trimix, rebreather, wreck and there is a cave specific program. I have conducted a few of these programs and I think it is great training for anyone who ever acts as a guide in the caves.

I was going to ask the OP, to what end would the certification be used?

...I think it is great training for anyone who ever acts as a guide in the caves.

I guess that answers it though :)

There are several training pipelines for Technical Dive Supervisor, Tec, trimix, rebreather, wreck and there is a cave specific program. I have conducted a few of these programs and I think it is great training for anyone who ever acts as a guide in the caves.

I'm interested in knowing more about the Tech dive supervisor and the cave specific program

I was going to ask the OP, to what end would the certification be used?

I'd like to eventually teach. I'm doing the DM, then instructor thing for open water. I would like to eventually do the same in the cave world. I just wondered if there was a crossover for DM's in the cave world. Would be nice to eventually guide cave dives and/or help a cave instructor the way Open water DM's do.

I'm interested in knowing more about the Tech dive supervisor and the cave specific program

Prerequisites
  • Must be at least 18 years old
  • Must be a Divemaster
  • Must be a Rescue Diver
  • Must be certified & current with First Aid, CPR & O2 provider
  • Must be IANTD advanced cave diver or equivalent
  • Have proof of 100 logged dives, 60 of which must be cave dives

Program Content
  • Must assist in at least 2 cave courses & give 2 presentations
  • Must spend 200 minutes of bottom time with a cave instructor supervising cave dives
  • Must have 2 evaluation dives

Above is a synopsis - the standards are more detailed, but this is the gist of the program for the cave route.

Prerequisites

• Must be IANTD advanced cave diver or equivalent
  • Have proof of 100 logged dives, 60 of which must be cave dives

I realize Jim you're only quoting what is written, and briefly at that...but this is funny shiite.

When you contrast this post with Joel's post every year about the Rouses and their fate, and the subsequent comments with respect to "current newer divers" and their lack of supposed skill and experience,...the too fast too soon idea, you tend to realize it's the old-guys and their agencies that are actually the cause of it.

I happened to be browsing the pre-req's of an agency I toil for in an unrelated matter, and I found myself shaking my head when looking at these pre-req's for the various technical courses.

It is no surprise....

I'd like to eventually teach. I'm doing the DM, then instructor thing for open water. I would like to eventually do the same in the cave world. I just wondered if there was a crossover for DM's in the cave world. Would be nice to eventually guide cave dives and/or help a cave instructor the way Open water DM's do.

Are you currently cave certified? If so, with which agency and at what level?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom