just curious

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several training pipelines for Technical Dive Supervisor, Tec, trimix, rebreather, wreck and there is a cave specific program. I have conducted a few of these programs and I think it is great training for anyone who ever acts as a guide in the caves.

Thanks, Jim. I wasn't aware of that. But I also haven't taken any IANTD courses, so I tend to forget about their cave course and tech supervisor rating.

Are you currently cave certified? If so, with which agency and at what level?

I'm only at Basic cave (dive doubles) with NSS-CDS. I'm taking an IANTD advanced Nitrox course next month and I am planning on doing the apprentice/full cave in one shot some time in february or march. On the open water side of the house I should be OW instructor by then, and if I keep diving with the frequencey at which I dive now I should have 300 to 350 dives under my belt by then, of which 60+/- will be cave cavern. 300 to 350 isn't allot but we all have to start somewhere, right?

I realize Jim you're only quoting what is written, and briefly at that...but this is funny shiite.

When you contrast this post with Joel's post every year about the Rouses and their fate, and the subsequent comments with respect to "current newer divers" and their lack of supposed skill and experience,...the too fast too soon idea, you tend to realize it's the old-guys and their agencies that are actually the cause of it.

I happened to be browsing the pre-req's of an agency I toil for in an unrelated matter, and I found myself shaking my head when looking at these pre-req's for the various technical courses.

It is no surprise....

There may be truth in this statement, but it's ultimately up to the student to say "I am moving to fast". If for some reason they don't do this the unforgiving world of technical diving will remind them that they are in fact moving to fast. I realize that sometimes the prereqs are not sufficient to say the least, but one can only blame himself/herself if something goes wrong, not the "Agency or Old Guys". I have never had an "Old Guy" twisting my arm to take a class.

I'm only at Basic cave (dive doubles) with NSS-CDS. I'm taking an IANTD advanced Nitrox course next month and I am planning on doing the apprentice/full cave in one shot some time in february or march. On the open water side of the house I should be OW instructor by then, and if I keep diving with the frequencey at which I dive now I should have 300 to 350 dives under my belt by then, of which 60+/- will be cave cavern. 300 to 350 isn't allot but we all have to start somewhere, right?

Come on mate, you don't even know if you're going to pass your App/Full Cave class!

Take your time and enjoy the journey...... :)

Safe diving,

Rich

There may be truth in this statement, but it's ultimately up to the student to say "I am moving to fast". If for some reason they don't do this the unforgiving world of technical diving will remind them that they are in fact moving to fast. I realize that sometimes the prereqs are not sufficient to say the least, but one can only blame himself/herself if something goes wrong, not the "Agency or Old Guys". I have never had an "Old Guy" twisting my arm to take a class.

No, it really is up to the agency most of the time.

There's no-one in their right mind that would consider a diver with 100 lifetime dives, and included in all that experience somewhere, 60 cave dives, as anywhere near "Advanced Cave diver", fit to watch anyone for anything.

Well, that is until a supposed responsible agency writes a few words in bold text and viola, it is now the law that they will live by..... <snicker>.

It's laughable. Better yet they put it in bold so as to draw attention to their stupidity.

I say "Old guys" not as a slag (I'm doing my best to become one), but the reality of it is, the folks of "lengthened years" in the industry ARE calling the shots with most of these dog and pony operations, yet they seem to be the same ones crying about how much better the diver was in their day.........Of course it's NEVER their fault.

Well hello sunshine. Guess who's writing the manuals and making the standards? It sure as shiite ain't the newer guys.

If it's one thing I've learned as an instructor dealing with these agencies, they are THE best at deflecting responsibility onto anything or anyone, or everyone else. Always an excuse, you can bank on that. They make my 12 year old sound logical.

Personally, I think we have far better divers at one end simply because of the natural advancement, and slobs just as bad now as the slobs were then, at the other.

You really can't blame a person for believing they are ready when all you've ever done is write and re-write standards to make it easier for entry at every turn. Until the poor fellow has taken his knocks, and I guess hopefully survived, and realize just how bad the industry is in self-regulating, the blame will fall directly on the door-step that it should.

"Prereq's Not sufficient to say the least"?

I think that is a pretty big understatement. It should plainly not even be considered, and to people with their heads screwed on straight, only serves to lessen the authority of the agencies. And frankly, quite rightly so.

I think either a total effing retard, or a super-sized money grubber write these things..........and that's a prerequsite of their job, by the way. :wink:

Ya, I think I'm off topic far enough now........lol

Come on mate, you don't even know if you're going to pass your App/Full Cave class!

Safe diving,

Rich

Wise that Rich is...

Seems a bit premature to talk about guiding and instructing at this point. Come back to it when you have 4+ digit cave dives. Then you'll have some valuable cave experience to share with students and clients. Until then you're just a student of the caves like the rest of us.

No, it really is up to the agency most of the time.

There's no-one in their right mind that would consider a diver with 100 lifetime dives, and included in all that experience somewhere, 60 cave dives, as anywhere near "Advanced Cave diver", fit to watch anyone for anything.

Well, that is until a supposed responsible agency writes a few words in bold text and viola, it is now the law that they will live by..... <snicker>.

It's laughable. Better yet they put it in bold so as to draw attention to their stupidity.

I say "Old guys" not as a slag (I'm doing my best to become one), but the reality of it is, the folks of "lengthened years" in the industry ARE calling the shots with most of these dog and pony operations, yet they seem to be the same ones crying about how much better the diver was in their day.........Of course it's NEVER their fault.

Well hello sunshine. Guess who's writing the manuals and making the standards? It sure as shiite ain't the newer guys.

If it's one thing I've learned as an instructor dealing with these agencies, they are THE best at deflecting responsibility onto anything or anyone, or everyone else. Always an excuse, you can bank on that. They make my 12 year old sound logical.

Personally, I think we have far better divers at one end simply because of the natural advancement, and slobs just as bad now as the slobs were then, at the other.

You really can't blame a person for believing they are ready when all you've ever done is write and re-write standards to make it easier for entry at every turn. Until the poor fellow has taken his knocks, and I guess hopefully survived, and realize just how bad the industry is in self-regulating, the blame will fall directly on the door-step that it should.

"Prereq's Not sufficient to say the least"?

I think that is a pretty big understatement. It should plainly not even be considered, and to people with their heads screwed on straight, only serves to lessen the authority of the agencies. And frankly, quite rightly so.

I think either a total effing retard, or a super-sized money grubber write these things..........and that's a prerequsite of their job, by the way. :wink:

Ya, I think I'm off topic far enough now........lol

Steve,
Don't get me wrong I am not disagreeing with anything you have said, because I have the same opinion. I was simply stating that ultimately the student should have enough intestinal fortitude to say I need to slow down and get more experience. Students should not look at an agencies prereqs and say "I have met them, I can go on now". I believed this when I was in training, and I still believe this today. Prereqs should not govern a students "time to take the next class", experience and time in the water should. However you and I both know this is a rare thing, so we are back to your arguements.:D

Yes indeed take your time and enjoy the journey. However there is nothing wrong with planning for success, nor is there anything wrong with setting long term goals for yourself.

Opinions vary....

Slow and steady wins out every time.

Yes indeed take your time and enjoy the journey. However there is nothing wrong with planning for success, nor is there anything wrong with setting long term goals for yourself.

Opinions vary....

I'm Down with What Capt. Jim Wyatt said....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom