Just diagnosed with Graves Disease and want to dive anyway..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Francesca-NH

Registered
Reaction score
Peterborough, New Hampshire, United States
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just diagnosed with Graves and was in spectacular shape till a few months ago but trend on the skinny side. I am being told it will take some time before I can dive by my endocronologist. I have just suffered through a long winter and the only thing that kept me from going crazy was knowing that we would be diving soon in Honduras and locally (not nearly as exciting but for me still thrilling). I have to decide if I want to irradiate my thyroid or take the anti thyroid meds and asked the endocrinologist which would have me diving the soonest and she really could not say. I understand it can be different for everyone. I am trying to assume it will go well for me and I will probably take the anti thyroid meds but wonder if anyone has trouble diving on them? Can I dive on them? Also I have been taking Atenol (a beta blocker) and my endocrinologist has no idea if this is safe to dive on but I am guessing not but hoping I wont need it much longer if the anti-thyroid meds work quickly.

And really I am wondering if my cardiac symptoms resolve (in other words pulse is normal and BP is normal) would it be a problem to dive if I still was having disease activity?. Would a shallow dive make a difference? As far as I understand the problems I might have diving relate to the cardiac and weakness issues. I don't think I have eye involvement although other people disagree so for now I am not asking about that.
Someone on another forum told me to find another hobby. Please don't respond to me that way. I am sure there is a way this can be worked around and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me advice or any sense of what to expect.

The hyperthyroid state in Graves should be resolved before return to diving; besides cardiovascular risk there is a risk of accelerated oxygen toxicity. Once the hormone levels are normalized, as well as all signs and symptoms abated, you should also see a diving physician to cover all the bases, e.g. any meds you are on, physical status, etc., before return to diving.

Beta blockers are also not the most desirable medication for divers, because they can affect exercise tolerance, which could be important if you get caught in a current or have to work against wind to get back to a dive boat.

You're going to get this sorted, no doubt about that; it just may not happen quite fast enough for your trip.

About Scuba Diving ? Association of Divers ? DAN | Divers Alert Network

Reach DAN by phone:
Emergency Hotline (Remember: Call local EMS first, then DAN!)
+1-919-684-9111
International Emergency Hotlines

Non-emergency medical information line:
1-800-446-2671 or +1-919-684-2948
Extention: 222
Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. (ET)

All other inquiries:
1-800-446-2671 or +1-919-684-2948

Thank you for your help. I looked in my area for a diving doctor and wonder if I should call Dan to find one? I really don't think there is one in my state unfortunately.

---------- Post added March 6th, 2013 at 12:33 PM ----------

Thank you. Its hard to accept this downtime because I was in phenomenal shape in every way until recently. Excellent BP, Excellent heart rate thin but strong..

---------- Post added March 6th, 2013 at 12:46 PM ----------

I hope I am not being obnoxious by asking this again but am still wondering if a shallow shore dive might be on the table if I was close to stabilized. I am still not sure which treatment I am starting but leaning towards antithyroid meds which I believe can start working in as little as 6 weeks. Since I had such excellent health till about 3 months ago I was hoping I could at least do some mellow shore diving if in fact I am improving? Oxygen toxicity would not likely be an issue I believe on a shallow dive? I will in fact try to find a Diving Doctor because I have more confidence in my fitness to dive than my blood tests etc seem to indicate and am a stubborn jerk :-( Obviously I don't want to put anyone in the position of having to deal with trying to save me but would hate to miss diving if I do start improving on the faster side of whats normal. I don't get many chances to dive unfortunately. Thank you all for the responses and the DAN info.

Just so no one thinks I am a complete moron I did just call DAN and they found me a doctor not terribly far away from me that I am hoping will be able to clear me to dive assuming I start getting better on the sooner side of what is likely. I am absolutely assuming that is whats going to happen but completely aware it might not be the case. Thank you!

My daughter was diagnosed with Graves at 14, now 25.
There were three options to take.
Surgery, followed by synthetic thyroid.
Radiation, followed by synthetic thyroid.
Drug therapy. This seemed to have lots of side effects and it also seemed to really effect the immune system.

We had some big discussions but ultimately let her choose the path of treatment.

She chose the radiation and has never looked back. She has a pretty good feel for when she seems to be a little out of sorts with her levels. She likes to stay in the higher range of the normal.

I know that does not help in determining when you will be able to dive, but you should definitely look at all the alternatives and choose the one that best fits your needs and lifestyle.

Thank you Keith. I keep changing my mind about what I want to do. Honestly I want whatever has me able to dive, run, and doing the things that make me happy, the fastest. I know no one can tell me which option will get me there. I have read conflicting information about the safety of diving on sythroid. Does your daughter dive? I am assuming she is hypothyroid after the radiation but realize thats not always the case.

I can only imagine how your thought process must be going. It is never an easy decision. I would just recommend that you not concentrate on what gets you diving the fasstest, but instead which one will be the best for you long term. You will basically be making a life long decision, don't take it lightly.

Unfortunately, no, my daughter is not a diver even though she was a swimmer all her youth and a lifeguard through her teens. She now lives in San Diego too! She just does not knwo what she is missing! Luckily my second daughter is going to get certified this final quarter of college at Cal Poly.

You are also correct that she is now hypothyroid as she did take the radiated iodine treatment which basically killed her thyroid gland.

I have no idea about the effects of Synthroid and diving, I would hope that Dr. you have your appt. with will or at least that DAN has given you some information.

From a DAN article: Scuba Dive Medical Articles ? Decompression, Heart Safety ? DAN | Divers Alert Network

Fitness and Diving:Participation in recreational scuba diving is usually considered unsafe for individuals with hyperthyroidism. In untreated hyperthyroidism, thyroxin can be released in large quantities, causing debilitating symptoms for the submerged diver. Don't dive without treatment.
Medication Used in Treatment:Synthroid has no known interaction with decompression illness.

---------- Post added March 6th, 2013 at 11:45 AM ----------

Here is another article just related to the thyroid.

Scuba Diving Medical FAQ Articles ? Decompression Illness ? DAN | Divers Alert Network

Thank you Keith. If I lived somewhere where diving was something I could do more frequently I might not feel the need to factor that into my decision making since it means waiting another year possibly longer till I can dive again if I miss this summer. I should probably look into antidepressants and get off the internet but really appreciate your sharing this information.

Back
Top Bottom