Just FYI...DO NOT GET CERTIFIED WITH THOM DUTTON!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I took scuba certification classes in Austin TX with Thom last year and completed my certification. He gave me and my husband our temporary certifications. That was october 2015. I have been trying to contact him for a year now with no answer and no reply from anyone that works for him! I live in San Antonio TX and haven't had a chance to go back to Austin, but I do know that his dive shop Deep Blue Scuba in Austin TX is permantently closed and he's planning on opening another dive shop in Port Aransas TX. My husband and I happened to be in Port Aransas during the summer and decided to go stop by. Well we could barely find it! It's a small mobile trailer! And when you call the number listed, no one ever answers! I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm finally realizing what kind of person he is. I'm afraid my husband and I will need to take the certification classes over again. This time with a reputable company. Can anyone recommend any in the San Antonio area?

As I learned in another thread on SB, contact the certifying agency (PADI, SDI, etc.) and advise them of the situation. The other SB poster with a similar issue got resolution much quicker by going through the certifying agency.

Thank you both for the information. That will be my next step. I will update on the situation for others who ever find themselves in a similar situation can know what to do.

I have heard many good things about Duggan Dives in Universal City. If things don't work out for you, give them a shot.

I would second the comments about trying the certifying agency and I would do that before going down the route of another course.

If nothing else, it may get the instructor in question blacklisted with the association

+1 for Duggan Diving for future training courses.

If you have been issued a temp PADI card (which means you have a PADI certification) any PADI instructor or PADI HQ can look up your info in 10 seconds. I am in Austin. If you need help message me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom