Just got back from Cairns. Feedback and Videos.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back after 1 week in Cairns. Unfortunately I could not go on a live aboard this time, but still had some great dives off Cairns and Pt Douglas. I tried 4 different boats and had good experience on all of them. Yes, be aware that all boats cater not only to divers, but also to intro divers and snorkelers. So there are a bunch of people on the boat, but the crew/guides did a good job at separating the divers and buddying people and groups based on experience. Overall, the boats were very big, super confortable, organized. The crew and guides were very attentive and helpful. 2 hour ride to/from each way is very long.

I went out of Cairns with Passion of Paradise, Tusa, Silver Swift, and out of Pt Douglas with Poseidon. I got lucky with Tusa going out on 1st of January with small amount of people on the boat. Dives off Port Douglas were the best in terms of visibility, fish life and to see sharks. Saw 6 or 7 on that day.

Out of Cairns saw tons of turtles, morays, murray wrasses, rock cod, clown fish, etc...

For the ultimate experience, of couse, take a live aboard and go out further to Ribbon and Osprey Reefs.

I am putting some videos on my youtube channel here:
skooooobas Channel - YouTube

They were all shot with GoPro Hero 2 in 720p with flat lens and red filter. Unfortunately, I did not notice the red filter was not completely centralized and that created some vignetting.

Please comment.

Thanks

[video=youtube;wcEtg3PVtG4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcEtg3PVtG4&list=PLA797BA5CA6BAE8B6&index= 5&feature=plcp[/video]

[video=youtube;hx77AGseCYE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx77AGseCYE&list=PLA797BA5CA6BAE8B6&index= 6&feature=plcp[/video]

Hi what kind of go pro are u using. I hear their underwater housing creates a soft focus.. thanks for your time... [h=1]
[/h]

Hi.
I have the GoPro Hero 2, and I replaced the regular lens with flat lens. But now, GoPro has a new housing specially for scuba. Take a look on their site.

Hi I live in Cairns and am wanting to buy a GoPro Hero 2, so was very interested in checking out your videos. They didn't play on my iPhone though. :-(

PS your white tip video is of a Grey Whaler.:D

PS your white tip video is of a Grey Whaler.:D

Yes, also his green turtle is a Hawksbill Turtle on his utube vids......
Looks like he enjoyed his time there, the focus doesn't look too flash but maybe thats utube not his go pro- put them on vimeo its better quality.

Question about the original post about Cairns and PD day trips. I plan to travel there in January. Just wondering
if you rec. Cairns over PD for day trips, also if you would rec. one operator over another from the ones you used in Cairns. I will be traveling with 3 nondivers so my goal is to get one day of diving in on the trip. Thanks
in advance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom