Just moved to Monterey looking for dive partners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just moved to Monterey and I'm looking for people to dive with. I don't like going alone for safety reasons and would love to get a good network of divers so I can go more often. I'm really into spearfishing and make great ceviche! My goal for this summer is to get my first halibut (I'll keep my fingers crossed). Let me know if any of you are looking for a dive partner or are willing to invite me on a group dive.

Thanks,
Chris

not next 2 weeks but i be glad to show u around.. though no fish hunting..

Welcome Chris! I'm sure you'll have a great time. There are some nice dive clubs that can help you socialize/network with other divers. I'm a San Jose diver myself but I hear good things about the Monterey Sea Otters if you are interested. I believe they meet monthly. Cheers!

There aren't too many hunters or places to hunt in Monterey. There is a small community of freedive spearos but they tend to keep to themselves. Monterey tends to be very anti hunting on scuba I found and frowns on that type of activity, there seems to be more pro conservation. Even on dive boats or returning to the dock from a private boat there will be plenty of people giving you the stink eye and a few might even comment.
The best and uncontested hunting is up on the North Coast, north of San Francisco starting up in Sonoma County and up to Mendocino County. It might work out to be a two day trip with a night of camping out at one of the many great campgrounds, but that is just as much fun as diving and hunting.
If you're into halibut then I hear some people have good luck off Del Monte beach to the right of pier II in Monterey, and some of the best is in Tomales Bay in Marin County. Tomales Bay requires a boat and nerves of steel since it is ground zero for GW activity.
But for big lings and plenty of rockfish nothing beats the North Coast.

Post for buddies on FB at Monterey Bay Area Scuba Divers Open. The Sea Otters Dive club is friendly, but not for spearfishing.

Thank you all for the tips.
I understand the conservation piece and I'm always responsible and respectful. I'm not one of those guys that goes out to just kill stuff. When my wife and I want fish tacos or ceviche once a month I go out and catch 1-2 Rock cod and call it a day. I would love a halibut since it's my favorite fish and I've yet to catch one. I'll keep asking around and enjoying beautiful Monterey!

Thank you all for the tips.
I understand the conservation piece and I'm always responsible and respectful. I'm not one of those guys that goes out to just kill stuff. When my wife and I want fish tacos or ceviche once a month I go out and catch 1-2 Rock cod and call it a day. I would love a halibut since it's my favorite fish and I've yet to catch one. I'll keep asking around and enjoying beautiful Monterey!

No problem with fishing to eat. I also know a local Monterey diver who likes to spearfish. PM me and I'll see if I can get you in contact with him.

If you want to spearfish, inquire with the Monterey Bay Tritons. However, I believe they are spearos, hence you'll have to freedive for your catch. Inquire with CA DFW and make sure you do not hunt in protected areas, less you wish to forfeit your gear and, possibly, the car you drove.

Personally, I find the Olive and Blue rockfish delicious catch that fit perfectly into a frying pan! Would love to bring home a good size halibut!

O.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom