Just needs some opinions..kids diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have followed this discussion with great interest since I have an 11 year old daughter who will be taking PADI's junior scuba course in late July. Concerns about injuries to kids are real and with kids involvement in diving there will be both injuries and deaths. Should this reality prevent a childs participation? IMHO it should not. If we(as a dive community) decide that it should then maybe we should as a society not allow kids to participate in other activities that present dangers to them. Football comes to mind since I'm plagued by problems with injuries that occured when I was 14. Horseback riding competitions since I saw my daughter go off a horse and the recent death of a 12 year old girl when a horse fell on her after going over a jump. The list could go on. I don't know the details of the PADI limitations for under 15 years of age yet but will before she dives outside of a pool. I will reserve the right to modify PADI's limits to something more restrictive ie less depth and less time maybe only one dive per day or doubling surface interval if there is a repetive dive. I guess this is one area where I feel the responsibility is squarely on the parent. Thanks for a great discussion.

jbd,
The restrictions that PADI has for 10-12 yr. olds apply to training. Instructors may not take them deeper than 40 ft..
In addition only two students of that age may be in one class, AND that class may not be larger than 4 people in open water. IMO, if you have 2 10-12ers, they should be the whole class. The standards say they must dive with a parent, guardian, or PADI professional. (Heaven forbid they should dive with a NAUI instructor! :) There are no scuba police (except in Laguna Beach, CA) so you can dive with your child as you wish, but real shallow seems like a good idea.

Neil

Rick

I do believe we feel the same way but have a different way of getting there.

I now am the father of a PADI SEAL TEAM member, sent his application for a C-Card off today, just think of how much learning the both of us will do before my son gets to go into the "big pool"

Fishkiller,
I think we're probably even closer - you're the daddy, you make the decisions based on what's best for your own child. I agree 100% with that.
Rick

Neil,
What's the restrictions fora 13 year old?
:sunny:

Natasha,
For 12-15, the "junior" diver certification, the PADI requirement states that a Junior Open Water Diver Scuba Diver is qualified to dive only when accompanied by another certified diver who is of legal age.

The NAUI requirement is the same but specifies that the diver must be of the parent or guardians' choosing. In addition there is a 60 ft. depth limit.

Neil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom