Just on Third Lesson....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great to hear that! Must be nice to be warm in a 1mm! :D
Ber (popsicle) :lilbunny:

I spoke too soon!! The 1 mil. worked that first time...guess I was excited. The next lesson I was shivering at the end....and I had to trade in the 1 mil for a 3.2. So NOW I'm not cold (at least in a heated pool in Augusta, Georgia!!):wink:

I was always cold in the pool during training, and think it was because I spent a lot of time doing nothing while the instructor tended to other students or talked to us. I wore a 7 mil wetsuit and was still cold in 80-something water! Your instructor probably wants to teach you to achieve neutral buoyancy, and that's harder with a wetsuit (and weight belt), especially in shallow water. Try to tolerate the shivering, and especially fight the panic reaction -- shivering is your muscles working to warm themselves, panic is your limbic brain shouting "Hey, fool, you're freezing! Get out of the water!"

I don't like cold water, period, and wear gear even in tropical water. I experience fewer cramps during and aches and pains afterward. I know I'm missing some fabulous critters in northern waters, but my motto is: "No palm trees? No dive!"

ur instructor is and idiot if ur cold in a pool u should get a wet suit diving cold is no fun theres a thing called hypothermia that builds up nitrogin which if he didnt know is a bad gas shivering also makes u burn more gas when diving which gives u less bottom time just stick it out diving is lots of fun and enjoy your diving experence

Don't feel bad; if you read the journal of my OW class (link in my sig line) you'll see I got thrown OUT of the pool on our first session for shivering, and I did the rest in a 3 mil suit. Some of us just get cold easily!

Thats awesome to hear, just wait till yo get your first open water dive on scuba. Its like nothing else in this world! Good luck and enjoy

Hi Washava,
Congratulations on doing your dive course. I'm glad you found a way to be warm and comfortable. I too tend to get cold fast in the water. I actually wear a 5ml while teaching in a heated pool I always tell my students that if they feel cold, then they are cold. Don't wait to start shivering to let me know.
Once you get certified, and it sounds like you are well on your way, you should look for a quality wetsuit, or if you can, a Dry Suit. With either one, you should be very comfortable.
Let us know how you make out. Good luck and welcome to diving.
Take care,
George
PADI MSDT

Part of my class involved going to the lake & snorkeling. I have a 7mil farmer john & jacket. I wore only the jacket, the water was 70 degrees, I was so hot I had to keep opening the suit to let in cool water, just to keep from over heating. I am going to San Carlos Aug 7,8,9, for my open water cert. The water temp is around 85 degrees. I'm not going to take the suit & will only use my Lycra skin for the dives. I live in Phoenix.

I spoke too soon!! The 1 mil. worked that first time...guess I was excited. The next lesson I was shivering at the end....and I had to trade in the 1 mil for a 3.2. So NOW I'm not cold (at least in a heated pool in Augusta, Georgia!!):wink:

That's good, do whatever it takes. Your thermal tolerance will be unique to you. Also it will vary with your activity level. If you were working on the bottom or hovering or swimming in a small space you won't be burning much energy to help keep you warm.

Kudos for getting what you needed to stay safe. A cold diver will not think or perform well and as mentioned has a higher risk of DCS. Remember Henry's law and the analogy to a cold carbonated beverage retaining gas better than a warm one. Everyone wants to dive with as little neoprene as possible but adequate thermal protection is the price of admission here.

Pete

welcome aboard

Back
Top Bottom