Just signed up for Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did my DM internship my instructor recommended I pick up the older version of the encyclopedia, not the new one as it had more "meat" in it ... I can't verify as I only got the older one :wink: But maybe someone else can verify...

Aloha, Tim

Most people my age like a book; you can take it to work and read at lunch, in the bathroom, etc - however, the CD has some videos as well and I found them to be fascinating - at least on the version I have, there is a video of how aluminum tanks are extruded, very interesting for this non-mechanical guy -

are you doing the internship or the other option that I have never used and can't remember it's name?

if nothing else, you will know more about dive theory, tables, physics, etc than you thought possible - a couple years ago we had a DM class of 7 that calculated what it would take to lift a Ford Explorer off the bottom of the local quarry - and the maps they turned in were extraordinary - and how they did it was quite creative as well

Why not buy the digital version and print it, for your personal use, or parts of it as necessary? PADI allows the printing of the document, from the digital version, so long as you are using if for your own personal consumption. If you lose a page, spill coffee on it or whatever..., the digital version is much more versitile IMHO.
Not to mention "update" time! You just download, print and replace....simple! It also makes it a lot easier to keep a record of updates and so on. Heck, I dont even buy log books anymore, since there is a copy of the log book page in the manual I just print. hole punch and add!
I think that everybody has given very good reasons for thier choices and I respect them all. On the other hand, I must say that buying the digital version seems the most versitile use of your $100 +

Regards
Rob

Hi Preston,

I don't know what the options are at my dive shop. I'm pretty keen on diving but don't plan on turning professional. I'm just looking for the knowledge and skills upgrade. I'm popping over this evening to sign the paper work and pick up the materials, we'll see what happens then.

I recently helped a friend of mine do her mapping exercise for the DM. It was a great learning experience and I plan on using the exact same method when my turn comes around.

cheers

TheHobster:
Most people my age like a book; you can take it to work and read at lunch, in the bathroom, etc - however, the CD has some videos as well and I found them to be fascinating - at least on the version I have, there is a video of how aluminum tanks are extruded, very interesting for this non-mechanical guy -

are you doing the internship or the other option that I have never used and can't remember it's name?

if nothing else, you will know more about dive theory, tables, physics, etc than you thought possible - a couple years ago we had a DM class of 7 that calculated what it would take to lift a Ford Explorer off the bottom of the local quarry - and the maps they turned in were extraordinary - and how they did it was quite creative as well

So far I'm leaning towards the CD version. I'm picking up the course materials this evening and will decide on the spot. :)

Congratulation on your choice to "Go Pro"!
I have the book, but have been told the cd has some extra animated features to it...Anyone confirm????

vanDavid, best of luck to you. I did the NAUI DM this year so I know what the challenge is and feeling of accomplishment you will feel when you finish will be. Let us know how you are doing . . . look foward to hearing about the dif (if any) of the waterman skills you have to face . . . was one of my toughest challenges.

You are enrolling for a DM course. That means somewhere along the lines you are thinking of becoming an PADI Instructor. If you are planning on travelling later on for your IDC or teaching jobs you need to carry all your IDC material which weighs about 15 kgs. You will pay extra freight in most airlines plus you have to haul the luggage. So carrying your Laptop and your collection of CD version of the material will be much easier. Plus you can do much more with your Lap top than just your books. I wish PADI releases all its Study and teaching materials in Digital format right from OW course book to Course Director Manual (Digital version available) to make life a little easier for a dive professional. This is just my opinion. Books are more easier to study but less easier to carry when there are a lot of them.
(OW Manual 0.5 kg, Adventures in Diving 0.5 kg, Rescue manual 0.5 kg, EFR Participant Manual - 0.4 kg, Divemaster Manual 1 kg, Encyclopedia of Diving - 1 kg, Diving Knowledge Workbook - 0.2 kg, Instructor candidate work book - 0.4 kg, Instructor Manual - 4 kg, EFR Instructor Manual - 4 kg, ( approx 12 kgs) + slates, dive gear etc.

So, if he learns better by reading a book, you are saying that he should ignore his learning style, and possibly not study well so he has less to carry for a possible, future IDC? That might involve travel? Which by the way I don't remember Van David stating that he wanted to do an IDC.

I would bet that an IDC is run in Vancouver on at least an annual basis so travel may not be a problem. I like the idea of get the CD and print as needed; other than that he should get the media that suits his learning style so he can best learn the material. Get the DM done right first, then worry about the possible future IDC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom