Just venting...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i agree with dr.lecter.

I also get the vibe that you are a signal nazi and are coming here for confirmation that you are right....
you dont have to be a rule nazzi to be safe.

Most people are not comfortable openly criticizing someone else like the other diver did to you, so i immediately assume you were being too uptight and it came off as being a jerk.... kind of like how you are probably interpreting my post now.

scuba is supposed to be fun. i agree that we should follow protocols to be safe, but to say there are "rules" really takes the fun out of it.

i agree with dr.lecter.

I also get the vibe that you are a signal nazi and are coming here for confirmation that you are right....

Most people are not comfortable openly criticizing someone else like the other diver did to you, so i immediately assume you were being too uptight and it came off as being a jerk.... kind of like how you are probably interpreting my post now.

scuba is supposed to be fun. i agree that we should follow protocols to be safe, but to say there are "rules" really takes the fun out of it.

I can see how you can get that vibe, especially since it's incredibly hard to gauge a person via electronic medium. Do I think you're a jerk because of your post? No way. You or Dr. Lecter haven't said anything that's outrageous and I think it's fair to question things.

For context, my buddy actually got what I was telling him and understood why I was correcting. When he and I dive, we're generally on the same page, him giving me feedback and vice versa. We're a really good buddy team. The person who made the remark is someone who doesn't dive regularly and is considerably more lax about his diving.

I will say, though, that if ensuring that we use the appropriate and expected signals to ensure a proper pickup makes me a signal nazi, then I'm guilty as charged.

Lastly, calling it a "protocol" is simply a fancy way of calling it a rule: "a system of rules that explain the correct conduct and procedures to be followed in formal situations"

i agree with dr.lecter.

I don't think following conventional standards needs to take the fun out of diving. I think a simple non-lecturing reminder that waving your arm to signal the boat is a sign of distress was warranted. I've been on dive charters where they mention that if you wave your arm they are coming to get you without delay, and you better be in need if help when they get there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was recently asked during a dive, "Rey, why do you have to get all technical" in a very snarky way. We were on the surface and I had signaled the boat. My buddy started to signal the boat also by waving his arm so I corrected him. He was cool with it but someone else that was with us is the one that made the remark. I have to say it frustrated me to get asked that.

I'm a stickler for the rules and I follow them so I can dive safely. I'm the type that will consider a dive plan before every dive, go over hand signals and inspect my buddy's gear to ensure I understand where everything is. I listen to the boat briefing...every time...because it sets the expectation of what to do and where to be when you're done. And I brush up on my skills yearly to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

It's just the way I'm wired and as a husband and father, I want to make sure I come back safely. I don't think my expectations or how I dive is out of the norm and diving isn't something you do recklessly.

Anyways, just venting to a group that may understand me. Not asking for anything but an ear.

Damn! Snarkey... I just can't deal with snarkey..What the hell is narkey anyway?

I wish that was the worse thing any dive buddy ever said to me..:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::shakehead:

While I am also cautious about being a nazi about regarding dive protocol, I remind students of a three things when I see behavior which creates a potential safety issue...

1. Water waits
2. Water always wins
3. Water is indifferent to your survival

although i know the signs, on one of my first dives in the caribbean last winter i was the first up after the safety stop and the boat was waiting maybe a 100 yards from me (it's one of their usual diving spots so he knew about where we would pop up) my instinct (and adrenalin) had my waving my arm, by my attitude he knew nothing was wrong and came to pick us up but he laughingly reminded my that this was a distress sign, i felt a bit dumb but since it was all fun and laughter i remembered it in a more positive way and it stuck :)

although i know the signs, on one of my first dives in the caribbean last winter i was the first up after the safety stop and the boat was waiting maybe a 100 yards from me (it's one of their usual diving spots so he knew about where we would pop up) my instinct (and adrenalin) had my waving my arm, by my attitude he knew nothing was wrong and came to pick us up but he laughingly reminded my that this was a distress sign, i felt a bit dumb but since it was all fun and laughter i remembered it in a more positive way and it stuck :)

Gaspe?

I'm with ya.

On one of my dives, which was a drift dive, we were asked to shoot an SMB if we were surfacing away from the guide who was towing a dive flag. This was because the dive boat was following along the drift and there was other boat traffic. I was pretty inexperienced but I was taught to listen to the briefings.
When it came time to surface my buddy and I were seperated from the guide. My buddy was much more experienced, he was a tech diver (Which I've come to find out doesn't really mean anything) When we got to 15ft to do our safety stop I shot the smb. When we surfaced he looked at me with this smug look and said what did you do that for. I told him the dm asked us to and he was like "oh OK" in that way that makes you feel kind of stupid.

I don't care. I'd rather not get hit by a boat on vacation..

I empathize. I am also known for being a PITA. After doing a full dive plan and head-to-toe gear check, one of my dive buddies turned to our third team member and said, "Does she always do this for a 20 foot reef dive?". And the third buddy, who knows me well, said, "Yup. Get used to it."

Eric Sedletzky nailed it. Find people who think like you do and dive with those people. That's what I did, and I couldn't be happier.

Back
Top Bottom