Kauai Dive Report From New Hawaiian Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides the unnecessary know-it-all tone, the fact that he tried to correct the OP's spelling was quite humorous. A saying about glass houses and stones comes to mind.

Inst.x:

Thanks for the post. You are entitled to present your view of things.

However, the way that you phased your posts, makes it sound as though you were rebutting the comments that I made in the original post as if you and your dive shop were involved.

I shared my observations so that others would perhaps learn from my experience/errors not as a dig at a particular diveshop as you imply in your statement "Just see this kind of post all the time."

To clarify some issues for you.

1) I used to dive with only a resort certification. Where ever I went, I would enroll in the resort course and dive the rest of the week. I did this several times before I did the OW.

2) Some operators like Bubbles below load your equipment and have you board at the same time at the dock. At least one other dive shop has you load your equipment in one place. You then have to make your way to the dock which is in another location which is not within walking distance.

3) Configure your equipment means assembling the fins, boots, masks, and snorkels in such a manner that the maximum number of sets can be fit in a small plastic tub. The only reason why I can think that a particular dive shop will not allow you to bring your dive bag is if they are attempting to conserve space on the boat. That means that they are trying to load the boat with as many people as possible for a given comfort level. In all the other places that I have dove, we have kept our equipment in the bag until we suited up.

5) It was the divemaster that attached the computer and allowed the regulator to free flow. By the time, I got to it, it was already down. Perhaps that you are right that I should have had all the other divers both below and above wait until I had my tank replaced? I don't mind cutting my dive a little short so as not to disrupt or cause a potential safety issue with the other divers.

6) You never know when a piece of equipment will malfunction despite any checks. I would have preferred to have noticed it on the surface. I far as I know, my situation did not replicate that of which you are talking about. If you would like to relate that experience why don't you start your own thread on this subject.

8) Diving would have resulted in a DCI incident. The DM/DI license would probably have been suspended after the facts were reviewed. The manager said that after he and the shop owners reviewed the situation that the DM/DI was indefinitely suspended from working at the dive shop.

Thanks for the grammatical/contextual spelling corrections. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I cannot compare the sealife to the rest of Hawaii or Pacific since I have not dove on any other islands than Kauai in the Pacific. My comparison is to the carribbean where I have dove at a number of different locations.

Please let me know if I need to clear anything else up.

Last edited:
Thermos,

Post like yours are appreciated by the majority of people on the board. Thanks for taking the time to post and to respond to other posts.

Dive shops that cater primarily to vacation divers has to be a difficult endeavor under even the best of circumstances. Factor in the weather, gear, personalities, competition, economic and time pressures and you really have to question your decision to run a dive shop.

I will also say that I have nothing but the greatest respect for all of the dive shops on Kauai and have done business with all of them and they have exceeded my expectations 99% of the time. I’ve had hiccups with one but would not hesitate to recommend them today. Life is too short to hold a grudge and end up NOT diving while on that beautiful island is out of the question! The diving on Kauai is spectacular and all of the operations do a great job.

I just returned from Kauai with 17 members of my family where we did dives with three different operations.

Complete report here
Kauai Dive Report - Links to Video/Pictures

Just another point of view, I for one like those details. People when reviewing so often want to just be nice or rant – the overall perspective. And, we locals do tend to get a bit defensive.

My OP experience is limited LOL, I dive most with the same operator and in the same place. My first thought is everyone does what I do and duh, no, they don’t. So I read with interest how the rest of the world does things. What other people expect, appreciate and dislike. Much to my naive surprise – it can be something altogether different.
So – when I read this review initially back in May some of what he said didn’t really register. Since then I’ve gone out with a couple of other Ops and now I see what he meant. Heck within my own little microcosm there are different ways things are done. For example, a boat at a dock and boat on a trailer.

I could choose to rave my LDS has a shop and a boat on the water (cool!) And conveniently neglect to mention that means I carry my gear up and down a flight of stairs to load/unload it (oofda!)
If I was renting gear from the shop all I’d be hauling around is one small bag. But noooo, independent cuss I am, I’m lugging a small bag and dive gear, and 2 steel tanks (oofda!)
To be honest I’d rather lug it a short distance from my truck down the stairs vs heave all that up onto a boat on a trailer BUT, perhaps I’m just used to it.
Some say the boat I’m out on most often is a cattle boat (with a head big enough a woman can squirm around to sit down in) vs a smaller boat with greater individualized attention (with no head.) (The funny thing is all the sizes of boats I’ve been on, and with each OP, the space available to move around in and stow gear would have been great, if there was roughly 75% less people. J)

It’s just nice to know ahead of time what I’m getting into so thanks themons for sharing your experiences.

Good work Themons. You addressed all of Inst.x's misconceptions.
Hopefully a series of postings like this chain can enlighten how essential it is for us to communicate in an articulate manner geared at sharing information regarding scuba experiences.

Inst.x : Where is the Aloha in your message? a few speeling misstakes are quite minor compared to bashing down a diver's posting in an autocratic manner. When you are nice as well as competent, divers return year after year and shops stay open.

Interesting that this thread would have died a nice quiet death if Instr.x had not raised it from the dead.

But threads like this are very good. For me I have a trip scheduled for Fathom 5 in 4 weeks from today and frankly I'm think that Instr.x must be affiliated with the shop and this has given me reason to think that a change of plans might be in order, not because of the original post, I always take any one person's opinion as just that, but a response so caustic that it could corrode titanium bugs me, THAT is something to think about!

Everyone:

I would like to emphasize that Lonnie, the Fathom Five shop manager handled the situation in a swift and effective manner. He also displayed great concern for our negative experience. I don't think that anyone could have done a better job under the circumstances.

After I returned to the mainland, I attempted to identify the DM/DI from the Fathom Five website. They have at least one DM/DI whose picture is not posted. Since then, I have wondered if that individual was the DM/DI in question. If it is, I would have expected the DM/DI's information to be removed from the website if the DM/DI was indefinitely suspended.

Provided that the DM/DI was actually indefinitely suspended, as Lonnie informed me, if they changed their double loading / gear bag issue, I would be willing trying Fathom Five again, the next time I am in Kauai.

what exactly was the issue with the DM/DI....something about DCS/DCI ok...but what? Curious minds want to know.

Thanks for your post.

They have at least one DM/DI whose picture is not posted. Since then, I have wondered if that individual was the DM/DI in question. If it is, I would have expected the DM/DI's information to be removed from the website if the DM/DI was indefinitely suspended.

A lot of their employees are not listed on their website. This is a class act organization (as are most of the organizations on Kauai). Anyone who would even question diving with Fathom Five is missing out on an opportunity to interact with some great dive professionals. I am still waiting for the OP to go into detail over what happened with this one DM that traumatized the OP's spouse.

Instructor X brought up some good points that others want to criticize him for, such as, why did OP want to share a computer with someone else (basic OW states never dive anyone elses computer) and how the heck did the regulator free flow when attaching a computer to the regulator (huh?). Where would it go? What caused the free flow? There are too many goofy questions that exist here and would rather have the OP provide the answers instead of us speculating.

I have rented gear from Fathom Five in the past. Other than their mouth pieces falling apart (which the DM Scott replaced immediately--one of the best guides I have every been in the water with) their gear was brand new (April 2008) and well maintained.

Just confused by all of this and wonder why no one else but Instructor X pointed out the obvious questions that exist in the OP's account of the dive.

Bus

For curious minds:

On the subject of the computer, the DM or more accurately DM/Captain was attempting to hook up the computer to the SPG hose. I do not know why the regulator suddenly started to free flow. The equipment was mine, not the dive shops. This never happened before and has never happened since with this equipment.

I dive very conservatively within the tables, always make a longer than necessary safety stop, and follow the divemaster's plan with respect to bottom time and depth. I also generally prefer not to go below 80 feet and I always ascend with a dive buddy. I consider a computer more of a safety check device than an infailable(sp?) instrument that tells me the limits what I can do. Up until my Hawaiian dives, this has not been an issue. If I was diving individually, which I don't, I might consider a computer more of an essential piece of dive equipment. Individual ascents/dives seem to be more accepted in Hawaii than other places that I have dove. Sorry if I seem old fashioned to anyone.

The incident with the DM/DI had to do with equipment, safety stops, uncontrolled ascents, embolism, diving history, diving skills, diving knowledge, DM/DI responsibilities and attitudes. I refused to dive under those conditions with that DM/DI and would do so again. Apparently, the DM/DI had a history of conducting themself in this manner whenever anyone questioned their decisions. It was not just this incident, but also the history that I believe led the manager and owners to indefinitely suspend the DM/DI for their professional conduct.

I hope that answers everyone's questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom