Keep your hoses to yourself!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG, Lynne, they're all gonna die!!! :)

Only if they are brass. Retractors are life-support equipment, right?

This thread is probably going to make me the most flamed newbie on this forum since other than the 4 dives to get my Open Water certification, I don't have any open water experience. Zilch.

Anyway, I've been observing how a lot of divers do not pay attention to their hose routing and use clips to tidy them up. Also, many have hoses which are too long and end up bowing all over the place.

I don't think you need to be a wreck or cave diver to practice and appreciate proper hose routing

I haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating someone. You are a perfect candidate for the modified hogarthian hose routing. You use a 5 ft primary 2nd stage hose, a 22-24" alternate, and a 24" HP hose for a simple SPG. You rout the 5 ft primary hose under your right shoulder, across your chest, over the left shoulder, behind your head and around to the right. You make a bungie necklace for the alternate and wear it so it hangs under your chin. You attach a bolt snap to the HP hose using a piece of inner tube (or cave line if you have some, but the inner tube works great) and clip off the SPG to your left hip D ring. Even the stupidest jacket BCs have something you can clip to down there.

IMO, all OW students should be taught with this hose routing. It's got everything going for it; it's more streamlined, more comfortable to dive with, and sharing air is a breeze.

I haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating someone. You are a perfect candidate for the modified hogarthian hose routing. You use a 5 ft primary 2nd stage hose, a 22-24" alternate, and a 24" HP hose for a simple SPG. You rout the 5 ft primary hose under your right shoulder, across your chest, over the left shoulder, behind your head and around to the right. You make a bungie necklace for the alternate and wear it so it hangs under your chin. You attach a bolt snap to the HP hose using a piece of inner tube (or cave line if you have some, but the inner tube works great) and clip off the SPG to your left hip D ring. Even the stupidest jacket BCs have something you can clip to down there.

IMO, all OW students should be taught with this hose routing. It's got everything going for it; it's more streamlined, more comfortable to dive with, and sharing air is a breeze.

That's actually close to what I'm doing now.

I don't know the exact total length of my primary hose but it's a 26" from the 1st stage to the Apollo biofilter and then a 28" or 32" hose to the 2nd stage and yes, it's routed as you described. I have a little clip on the end of the filter that's towards the 1st stage end and I clip that to the plastic D ring on the cummberbund. Then it's across the chest and goes to the mouth from the right of my head. I have a 90 degree swivel on the 2nd stage so that the hose can come close to my neck without needing to make an arc. Have tried it a few times in swimming pools and it feels comfortable enough without any noticeable abrasions on my neck but time will tell whether I should junk the swivel.

Strangely enough, I couldn't find any bungie cord for sale where I am although I was told to try asking at tailor shops so the octopus is currently clipped onto a plastic D-ring that's halfway down the shoulder strap's webbing. I used to clip it to the metal D-ring on the shoulder padding but it was too high for me and that position wasn't one where my hand would and could hunt comfortably for something to unclip in an emergency so I shifted it to the plastic one which is a few inches lower.

Not too sure how long is the stock high pressure hose but I've junked the chunky console housing with the compass and depth gauge. Only kept the pressure gauge clipped to the left lowermost D-ring as a backup just in case the Vyper Air decides to take a holiday when I most need it.

I still have many PADI courses to take in my diving adventure and I really hope I won't get an instructor who'll tell me to do things differently because right now, the current configuration's neat enough and in position for the relevant hand to find / grab onto / disconnect naturally without having to molest myself by groping all over my torso.

It's great that you're thinking about this, but when I see "bio-filter...plastic clip....swivel...cummerbund...console" I'm just really glad to be diving a simple modified hogarthian set up as I described before, with a metal backplate, simple webbing harness. Less is more!

I understand you wanting to take more classes, that's great, but there are technical agencies out there that you might find more in line with your apparent high standards for yourself. There are, of course, many excellent instructors teaching PADI courses, but to be honest the agency's published materials on equipment configuration are a disaster. So at least consider going right to one of the tech agencies for advanced recreational classes. I kind of wish I had!

Progen,

You might find this interesting...a GUE Fundalmental Course

GUE Fundamentals | Global Underwater Explorers

It is a different philosophy than what PADI buts out on equipment configuration...and sound like something you might find enjoyable.

I see where Leon Boey and Gideon Liew are in Singapore (not sure how often you get there) and they might have classes available.

GUE Instructor résumé | Global Underwater Explorers

BTW...poor perrsonal standards are not exclusive to dive professionals in the media...just look at politicians :D

Happy bubbles,
~Oldbear~

Progen,

You might find this interesting...a GUE Fundalmental Course

GUE Fundamentals | Global Underwater Explorers

It is a different philosophy than what PADI buts out on equipment configuration...and sound like something you might find enjoyable.

I see where Leon Boey and Gideon Liew are in Singapore (not sure how often you get there) and they might have classes available.

BTW...poor perrsonal standards are not exclusive to dive professionals in the media...just look at politicians :D

Happy bubbles,
~Oldbear~

Yeah, have done a hunt for GUE instructors near me and the nearest was Singapore which I believe most of the dives will still be held in Malaysian waters. I do read a lot on all manner of diving including having long chats with a commercial diver but his is almost an entirely different thing altogether since it's mainly search and rescue or some underwater welding work.

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2013 at 12:04 PM ----------

It's great that you're thinking about this, but when I see "bio-filter...plastic clip....swivel...cummerbund...console" I'm just really glad to be diving a simple modified hogarthian set up as I described before, with a metal backplate, simple webbing harness. Less is more!

I forked out the cash for what I believe to be an overpriced aluminium cylinder with a piece of foam inside (the bio-filter) because since the damned coastline here extends for quite a good many kilometres before you're in decent enough depth, we don't have easy access to the sea and thus, I spend hours underwater in the swimming pools here and ended up with a pretty dry mouth each time which the moisturizing effect of the filter helped rectify.

There are fundies classes run in Hong Kong fairly regularly, and flights are cheap from KL :) A few guys are going for their Tech passes here in a couple weeks.

There are fundies classes run in Hong Kong fairly regularly, and flights are cheap from KL :) A few guys are going for their Tech passes here in a couple weeks.

Thanks but I'll have to give that a pass for now. Will be going for my Advanced Open Water and Nitrox at the end of the month and that's already pushing it a bit because I can't afford to leave the animal shelter where I work fulltime for long stretches but I'll be free as hell once my contract ends in August.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom