Keeping Warm on New England Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBeez

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,
I live in New England and I'm brand-spankin new to the underwater world. :confined: My first open water dives will be this weekend and I'm afraid I'll be so cold that I won't be able to enjoy it. I'll be wearing a 7MM suit with all the fixings (gloves, hood, boots etc), but I'm not convinced that will keep out the chill.
If anyone is familiar with diving around here let me know and tips or tricks you have to not developing a shiver!:bubble_fi
Also, does anyone have trouble with getting nervous when there is low vis? I have a feeling that I'll be constantly fearing that there is something lurking just out of sight or that I'll get disoriented. Let me know any experiences you'd like to share.

Thanks!

I think you will be just fine at this time of the year. Make sure your 7mm is a good fit, not too loose. Where are you going?

ScubaBeez-

During the "diving season" - from about May to September, you'll probably be OK in a well fit 7mm suit in most situations.

If you want to really enjoy the diving when it's a little chilly, it might be a good idea to just skip the wetsuit and go straight to dry once certified. It is much more expensive, but once you get used to it, you'll likely enjoy the diving more, and do more of it. I am personally not experienced in New England diving, but any water that is cold enough to merit a 7mm suit would be better done dry.

As far as low visibility, you'll get more and more comfortable with it. I find the more discomforting part is to have no visual reference in low visibility.

Welcome to the board - dive safe.

-Nick

The water has actually been really warm lately so you should not have a problem in a 7mm.

As far as limited vis, it really depends on the day. But as far as your fear of not knowing whether or not there is something lurking just out of site, try to think of it like this. There is DEFINITELY something out there that you can't see... and it's HUGE.... and it's WATCHING YOU!

Now you don't have to wonder. Just assume it's there. Now, isn't that better?

A wet wetsuit is a refrigerator between dives. Take it off or cover yourself so you do not suffer the effects of wind drying the suit and cooling you.

Drink warm/hot as you can stand water (not coffee or tea) between dives. It helps warm you from the inside. Drink it from a cup so the heat helps warm your hands.

Wear a warm hat between dives. A lot of heat is lost through head. Gloves or mittens will also help. It might look a bit silly but it beats being cold.

Having a good breakfast helps keep the internal furnaces properly stoked. :)

Do what it takes to stay warm on the SI. Strip off the wetsuit. Good windbreaker. Hat. Hide from the wind.

Personally, I find the very best thermal protection is only 1/10mm thick ---- an airline boarding pass to a warm water destination.

Green_Manelishi:
......Drink warm/hot as you can stand water (not coffee or tea) between dives. It helps warm you from the inside. Drink it from a cup so the heat helps warm your hands......

And if you have any of that warm WATER left...... In the suit it goes before you hit the water.

As far as the vis, you will be so caught up in what you see that you won't have time to think about what you don't. Stay close to your buddy.

Charlie99:
Personally, I find the very best thermal protection is only 1/10mm thick ---- an airline boarding pass to a warm water destination.

Absolutely! I'll be searching for warmer waters very soon, but the ocean across the street will have to do for now!

Thanks everyone for all the warming thoughts!

That ocean across the street is a playland , it's handy and will give you outstanding experience. When you get to warm water it will be a treat.

You got good advice above, don't fret about September water in New England. The ocean cools off a lot slower than the air and freshwater bodies. We are just falling off of the warmest water of the year. Don't let the chilly mornings of this week spook you.

A liter of very warm (not hot) water down the collar before entering the water is a hedge against seepage and be as dry and out of the wind as possible between dives. Fuel the furnace with a good predive meal and snacks and warm beverages. PB&J sandwiches provide quick energy, are seldom upsetting and go well with a salty mouth.

Pete

i'm surprised no one has posted the following:

"there are two kinds of divers, those who pee in their wetsuits, and those who lie about it."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom