Key Dive Package - Too good to be true?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to book this wonderful package, please contact Marcia Goldberg, or view their website at www.keydives.com....

Happy diving guys and girls!!

So, what did we do instead?? In the wee hours of the night, we booked a 7 days cruise with Carnival. The total cost for the cruise was less than we would have paid for car rental, food, and even with the "reaL" key dives deal....

Gained about 15 lbs, and the ship crew pampered us to death. Dove at half moon cay off the bahamas, dove at St. Thomas, visited Puerto Rico (too short of a stay for diving), and finally, we dove at Grand Turk. We returned to Miami, and drove to Key Largo ( a 50 min trip), and dove again. Unfortunately, the current and surf was too strong, and we had to abandon a dive at the Spiegle.

I am glad I didn't dive with keydives.... And we had a great time!!

Having looked at the add it looks like you were right and they were trying to pull a fast one!

Something about if its too good to be true then you are a fixing to get screwed????

This means you get 5 nights at a top Islamorada Resort plus a two-tank dive
for just $217.50 per person, double occupancy plus tax.

Says right in the ad that 5 nights costs $217.50. At best they are misleading, at worst, it's deceptive advertising.

I see your point.

Well on the main page of www.keydives.com they have this in their ad.

This means you get 5 nights at a top Islamorada Resort plus a two-tank dive for just $217.50 per person, double occupancy plus tax.

To me, the above seems you get 5 nights for $217 pp. So to me their ad is deceptive. Whether they were trying to pull a fast one I don't know, but they definately are clueless on how to advertise if they write it that way.

I'm usually leary of these "too good to be true" deals anyway.

Their Specials page says the same thing. So that's twice they have it worded as 5 nights for $217pp.
http://www.keydives.com/dive-specials.htm

On their main page, they offer a free nitrox dive with any 3 day package, with "no need to be Nitrox certified". That's scary.

To me, it just makes them look unorganized for sure. Makes you question their operation.

Regarding the Nitrox, in their defense, it does say a Nitrox dive which counts towards your certification if you choose to go that route.

I read the ad and see it the same way. It clearly says 5 nights for $217 per person, double occupancy.

They intend for it to mean, 5 nights for $217 per person, PER NIGHT, double occupancy. Which doesn't make any sense either because then the room would be $434 per night?!?!?!???

It SHOULD say 5 nights for $217 Per Night, Double Occupancy. Blah, blah...additional charges apply if more than 2 people stay in the room, blah, blah, side effects include heartburn, indigestion, anger and ruined vacation, blah blah.

Problem is now that there is no way in heck they'll change it because now they have to prove they are "Right".

They need to do the right thing and change it to avoid further complications. After all, they are in a 'service' industry. Showing they are willing to change the ad would demonstrate that they are willing to work with people. They'll get a lot more mileage out of being flexible than they will standing firm. Mom always told me, you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar and do unto others as you'd have them do unto you...

I'm sorry for your troubles and experience, but it seems like you learned a lesson the hard way that we can all benefit from. Avoid this dive operator/hotel...

As far as libel and slander, my opinion is that you're merely sharing the difficulties you had with your experience. Nothing wrong with that in this free speech country that I'm aware of...

CrackedConch:
I read the ad and see it the same way. It clearly says 5 nights for $217 per person, double occupancy.

They intend for it to mean, 5 nights for $217 per person, PER NIGHT, double occupancy. Which doesn't make any sense either because then the room would be $434 per night?!?!?!??? .

I wouldn't pay $434 per night for that place. That's for sure. In fact, I wouldn't pay $217 per night for it either.

You can find a much better place, with better customer service, for a better place elsewhere.

It sounds like to me that this place is its own "worst enemy"

CrackedConch:
It SHOULD say 5 nights for $217 Per Night, Double Occupancy. Blah, blah...additional charges apply if more than 2 people stay in the room, blah, blah, side effects include heartburn, indigestion, anger and ruined vacation, blah blah.

yeah, the "per night" would be very, very nice if clarity is desired

anyone can sue anyone for anything, that much is fact. defamation is a diliberate oral misrepresentation ; libel is a diliberate misrepresentation in print. To be found guilty of defamation or libel you must have deliberately misrepresented the facts. The truth is a defense. Even if you were wrong in your interpretation of the ad, you were in good faith in complaining. No deliberate intent on your part to defame or libel anyone. Let the clown sue. Anyone who threatens lawsuits or announces they are a lawyer and they are going to sue are idiots.
Oh yea, by the way, I am a lawyer but I aint suing you or anyone else. In fact, I go to great lengths to avoid legal hassles.
There is nothing La Siesta can do to make you happy. If they refunded your deposit you will still cuss them and likely never use them again. if they keep your deposit, you will cuss them and likely never use them again. Perhaps your best solution is to write off the $240 as a misunderstanding and vow to do things differently next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom