Key Dive Package - Too good to be true?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The advertisement for the offer is on http://www.keydives.com/new3/index.html

"La Siesta Resort and Key Dives have teamed up to offer the dive deal of a lifetime. All you have to do is pay for a three-night stay. In return, you will receive two additional nights and a two-tank dive trip - FREE. Prices start at $217.50 pp, double occupancy plus tax.

This means you get 5 nights at a top Islamorada Resort plus a two-tank dive
for just $217.50 per person, double occupancy plus tax."

yah... that should be $435 plus tax for two people for five nights, total

I did get my $240 back.

Yeh, it could be a clerk who made a mistake. But it was still the manager who didn't want to honor the agreement with the dive shop. And it was still the dive shop owner who threatened to sue me.

Anyhow, I have no case to take to the BBB as I did not lose anything, except about 3 hours of sleep the night before our flight, and got a great cruise vacation out of it....

Good thing I called and checked before we flew out there, we would really have been screwed if we drove to the mid keys and not having any accomodations.

fisherdvm:
I and got a great cruise vacation out of it....
Care to share the details of the cruise deal? I'm haven't been inclined to do a cruise, but it sounds like you were able to get some decent diving in and I suppose it was all-inclusive.

fisherdvm:
Yeh, it could be a clerk who made a mistake. But it was still the manager who didn't want to honor the agreement with the dive shop.

well, if the ad didn't say what they meant it to say, there was no "agreement." they were just saying, that's not what the ad means.

suspicious? a little bit, yes. glad you got your money back.

And it was still the dive shop owner who threatened to sue me.

what a maroon

fisherdvm:
Anyway, we booked 5 nights on Sept 16, 06, to arrive the next day, Sept 17, 06, to stay for 5 nights with 2 free (2 tank) dives, for $435 for 2 persons, excluding tax.

I called on Sat night, at 9 pm, to confirm the reservation at La Siesta Resort, they said that my cost would be $1222 for 5 nights.

Always use a credit card. If you've been hosed or blatently mislead, your bank will be more than happy to give you your money back and tell the vendor to get bent.

If they don't take credit cards, don't send them any money.

Terry

i have found that the keys are a tough place to vacation if your not familiar with them, the ads and pictures are always decieving, although not always intentional, still annoying to get there and find that the great looking hotel is actuall a little run down building on the side of the highway. we always stay at bay harbor/ coconut bay resort
the most relaxing nicest place in the upper keys without the high resort prices.

Key Dives is correct. Their ad is not misleading in any way and you can book a room as stated in the ad. The cost is exactly $217.50pp plus tax.

I've read every post and decided to call myself to see what they would do. Key dives is correct. The cost is $217 per night + taxes double occupancy as their ad states. I tried to call Key dives first but they were busy so after 3 tries I looked at La Siesta's web site and Called them. It clearly shows the room rates start at $145/night and go up to $345 per night. I spoke to Nancy who was by herself and had to put me on hold 4 times. Nancy was told very clearly that I was looking at the ad from the dive shop showing 3 nights paid gets 5 nights total for $217pp. She didn't know about the ad specifics regarding the dives and said I should call the dive shop but she did know I could pay for 3 nights and get 2 nights free. Her math worked out perfectly to what the ad on Key Dives states. You do pay for 3 nights and get 2 nights free and I'm assuming the 2 tank free dive is free even though I did not talk to Key Dives to verify it as everything else is correct.
1. La Siesta's website shows their rooms start at $145 per night going to $345
2. Nancy quoted me a total cost for the room of $491.04 which is $145+taxes
=$163.68 per night x 3 nights = $491.04. Take the $217.50x2=$435 or 3 nights @$145=$435. Taxes account for an additional $18.68 per night on a $145/night room

I've read 4 pages of everyone flaming Key Dives and La Siesta for deceptive practices and they are honoring the ad as it states and the ad states everything very clearly. However a person can't assume you can get the 3 bedroom villa for the same price as their basic room rate. La Siesta clearly shows room rates from $145 to $345 per night. If you got the $345 room it would come close to the $1,222 fisherdvm says they wanted to charge him. You would still pay for 3 nights and get 2 nights free. I had no problem booking a room according to the terms of the ad except Nancy said they could'nt honor it around Thanksgiving holidays.

What I think happened is somehow the hotel put fishedvm in the most expensive room by error while still giving him 2 nights free. This is just a guess but the math comes close to what he say La Siesta wanted to charge. if they charged $217 per night per person for 3 nights the total would've been $1,302 plus taxes which would've totaled close to $1,500 so I don't know exactly how the charge fisherdvm claims could've come about.

I am not claiming fishedvm did anything wrong and it's obvious there was some error in the booking but I don't what it was. What I can say is the ad is not misleading and you get exactly what they claim. If I'm wrong somewhere please let me know where exactly the error on my part is.

I also investigated this because on the surface it seemed like a reasonable deal for the hotel, given their lowest room rates and a way for the dive shop to get additional business.
My response from Lori at the dive shop below.

Hi Frank,

Thanks so much for contacting us here at Key Dives.

Yes, the total for the 5 nights would be $435.00 for two people plus taxes, which would make the final total $495.30. That price does include one 2 tank dive trip with us. If you added a 3 trip guided dive package the total price including taxes would be $466.50 for both of you. We would be happy to add the free Discover Nitrox to your package.

As you can see the deal does seem legit and from what I can tell the issue did come about from misunderstandings and the subsequent escalation of them.

I'm thinking about taking them up on this deal.

Back
Top Bottom