Key Largo diving next week: wetsuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericg753

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

Anyone recently dive in Key Largo the last few days/week? Cold front being felt everywhere, here in NY it's pretty brutal. I'm reading Rainbow Reef's website, at this moment showing air 50 degrees, water 71.1 (Weather Channel app showing 62 degrees air)

Last year I dove Grand Cayman in April, water was approx 80 degrees if memory serves me correctly (don't have my dive book in front of me), wore a tshirt and shorts (I was 35 lbs heavier). Before that I dove in Fort Lauderdale, water approx 75 or so, wore 3MM wetsuit.

At 68 to 72 degree water temps, recently (in the last month) dropped 35 lbs, 30-35 depth shallow reef dives next Tues to Thur....am I going to need anything more than my 3MM wetsuit??

I know it's a vague question, most of the answers may be "it depends on your comfort level". I just don't want to be caught off guard and not enjoy the dives as much because I'm getting cold down there. I called RR, they don't have any 3x 5MM suits to rent, but suggested to throw their 3MM shorties suit over my 3MM wetsuit. So that's 6MM, I'm thinking that is definitely overkill!! I won't be able to move!! LOL

I'm probably being over-cautious and quite frankly a pain in the ass with my questions, it's just that with this recent weight loss, I'm experiencing issues I've never experienced before (ex: pains in base of my neck/middle of my back, get colder easier). I am trying to be as prepared as possible before I leave so I have everything I need and can relax and enjoy the dives (have 4 dives per day for 3 days).

Thanks again everyone,

Eric

NDBC - Station MLRF1 is probably where RR gets the info--from the tower on Molasses Reef off KL. I don't supose ANYBODY went out today--Jeez! With air temps in the 60's and water about 68, and winds of 19-21 knots. Stay ashore and huddle around the heater if K-Mart still has any!! Take everything suit wise and use it, including a parka for between dives, cut back to 2 dives a day! I think RR is pretty dead on recommending your 3 plus their 3 shorty over it.

Seas conditions at 2-3 were not the real problem on Molasses today. It was the overall nasty windy cold miserable weather that kept the boats tied up. No interest at my Shop, none.

As for the weekend-much warmer but shifting winds to the dreaded ESE portending very rough conditions. Basically, winter.

Good diving on Molasses today with Ocean Divers in the AM. Water was 71 degrees (and 30 degrees warmer than the air). Some chop but not any swells. Viz around 30 ft. Very slight current. No surge at all. 15 minutes SI and a boat coat. Sure beat the local quarry in NC. :)

Attachments

• alparrot1sm.jpg
    alparrot1sm.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 119
Good diving on Molasses today with Ocean Divers in the AM. Water was 71 degrees (and 30 degrees warmer than the air). Some chop but not any swells. Viz around 30 ft. Very slight current. No surge at all. 15 minutes SI and a boat coat. Sure beat the local quarry in NC. :)

Steve, wetsuit or dry? Thickness? Hood/gloves? Or not necessary?

My buddy and I were both wet.

I was diving a 4/3 with a 3 mm hooded vest. Wore reef glove. Dive buddy had a 5mm with 3 mm hooded vest and no gloves. We did two 50 minutes dives. We both had 5mm dive boots with thin liners. Toasty on dive 1. Got a bit cool at end of dive 2 but not cold. But then even with boat coat it was chilly during our 15 min SI. Depth was 20-30 ft throughout both dives. At the Aquarium and Hole in the Wall.

Forecast is for air to be warming up beginning Saturday and getting calmer on Sunday.

My buddy and I were both wet.

I was diving a 4/3 with a 3 mm hooded vest. Wore reef glove. Dive buddy had a 5mm with 3 mm hooded vest and no gloves. We did two 50 minutes dives. We both had 5mm dive boots with thin liners. Toasty on dive 1. Got a bit cool at end of dive 2 but not cold. But then even with boat coat it was chilly during our 15 min SI. Depth was 20-30 ft throughout both dives. At the Aquarium and Hole in the Wall.

Forecast is for air to be warming up beginning Saturday and getting calmer on Sunday.

I have to check exactly what my thicknesses are for my gear, I know the wetsuit is 3MM, I always see 4/3, 5/4....not sure what the other number means. I have boots of course, no hood and gloves (will rent).

I may take up RR's offer for a 3mm shorty over my 3mm if it doesn't warm up more. Thanks Steve.

4/3 means 4 mm over the torso area and 3mm over legs and arms.

Gotcha. Thanks Steve.

RR said they don't have any 5mm my size (3X) but I can throw a 3mm shorty over my 3mm wetsuit. Hoping it closes in the back!! 6mm I'm going to be toasty!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom