Key Largo for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for recommendations for dive outfits in Key Largo for new divers and shallower depths.

Horizon Divers, hands down.

I dive with them since 2021 and always a great time - and their punch cards are a great value too.

I dive with them since 2021 and always a great time - and their punch cards are a great value too.
Thanks very much!

Looking for recommendations for dive outfits in Key Largo for new divers and shallower depths.
Do you like small boats/few people, or big oats with lots of people?
Do you want a guide in the water with you?

I haven't been back in almost 7 years, but there were no "bad" ops in Key Largo. Horizon and Rainbow Reef are the biggest down there and know how to look after newbies.

Do you like small boats/few people, or big oats with lots of people?
Do you want a guide in the water with you?
Smaller amount of people preferred. For starters, using a guide for sure.

Dove with Amoray and Pirate's Cove in February. Both very good. Wound up with them since my first choice, Silent World, was out of commission the week I was there for boat updates/USCG checks. Silent World sent me to the other places and they had crew from their shops on both boats. Most everyone seems to work together and get along. I think any of those would be good and getting a guide will be no issue. Just do that when you book. Let them know you have new divers and they can also make sure you're on a proper trip (Molasses Reef good for new divers, Spiegel Grove not for new divers). FWIW, I'll be diving with Amoray again since they have a nice setup for non-diving spouse.

Dove with Amoray and Pirate's Cove in February. Both very good. Wound up with them since my first choice, Silent World, was out of commission the week I was there for boat updates/USCG checks. Silent World sent me to the other places and they had crew from their shops on both boats. Most everyone seems to work together and get along. I think any of those would be good and getting a guide will be no issue. Just do that when you book. Let them know you have new divers and they can also make sure you're on a proper trip (Molasses Reef good for new divers, Spiegel Grove not for new divers). FWIW, I'll be diving with Amoray again since they have a nice setup for non-diving spouse.
Thanks very much for the thoughtful and thorough reply.

Thanks very much for the thoughtful and thorough reply.
Would you recommend either/or for a newly certified junior diver? Looking for a place in the U.S. to take my 10 year old grandson on his first real dive trip!

+1 on Horizon Divers.

Just came back from a Key Largo trip and dove with them three days. Had OW divers so we did the shallow dive trips and loved it. Fantastic crew, lets you dive your dive but offers as much help as you want up to and including an in-water dive guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom