Key Largo in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanurse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,

We are going to be in Key Largo Feb 12-16. We are planning on diving 3 days with HMS Minnow. Has anyone dove with them before? They had good reviews in the Travelin Divers Chapbook. We are planning to get a guide for our dives. Are most of the dive guides in the area DM's. All of my dives have been in the Caribbean, have been spoiled with always having a guide.

What kind of weather can we expect this time of year? We have 3ml full suits should this be enough? Is there alot of current or rough seas? Would we be better off diving in the AM or PM?

Any suggestions on nightlife or places to eat?

Thanks in advance for all advice and suggestions.

I have not dove with the Minnow, but they are right next to BlueWaterDivers on the ocean side. You really don't need a guide in the keys, but if that makes you more comfortable than I'm sure the charter/DM will appreciate the extra $$$.

I beleive the water temps are in the low 70's. There are plenty of websites that list current conditions. 3mm maybe enough, but that depends upon if you get cold easily, and if you are doing long dives. Sea's vary, and you could get blown out, or have wonderful conditions.

I'm sure some of the Largo Locals will post with more better info.

We really loved the Fish House in Key Largo. Here is a thread that lists a lot of the favorites in the Upper Keys:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=113272

As for Nightlife, ours consisted of a big dinner, and then a movie back in the condo :D

I think there was a couple beers involved, but after a day of diving, and then running around, I was never feeling like crowded bars, but I'm sure others may respond :D

scubanurse:
Hello everyone,

We are going to be in Key Largo Feb 12-16. We are planning on diving 3 days with HMS Minnow. Has anyone dove with them before? They had good reviews in the Travelin Divers Chapbook. We are planning to get a guide for our dives. Are most of the dive guides in the area DM's. All of my dives have been in the Caribbean, have been spoiled with always having a guide.

What kind of weather can we expect this time of year? We have 3ml full suits should this be enough? Is there alot of current or rough seas? Would we be better off diving in the AM or PM?

I go to the Keys 2 or 3 times a year. I was down there last time Dec 28 - Jan 4th 2006. Air temp was 80 high/ 70 low and water temp was 73. I wear a 1mm skin under a 2mm shorty, gloves & polartec hood. With that gear I am good to go all day long. I'd definitely take a hood & gloves though, I think they are key in staying warm. I dove 4 days last trip and 2 ft waves were 1 day & 1 foot or less the other 3. IT JUST DEPENDS which way the wind is blowing. If it is from the EAST or any combination with East you will have 3 foot or better waves. "Winter" weather in Keys is less predictable than summer (other than the odd HURRICANE!).

Don't know that you need a "guide" for the Keys, other than for your comfort. If it has been more than 6 months, they may MAKE you take one the first trip. Or if you are doing an "advanced" dive. Usually don't do drift dives there so you don't get a dive master in the water with you like in the caribbean. They drop you off on a reef or a wreck, you swim around on it and come right back to the boat.

Generally, there isn't much current on the reefs. Exception to current is the DUANE. It is almost always in the current. If waves are high, you can have significant SURGE on reefs, depending on depth.

Places to eat: The Fish House (102mm Ocean side); Hobo's (104mm Bay Side); Ganim's (Ribs...102mmbs)...(Breakfast 101mmbs) (2 locations); Craig's (87 mm bs).

Night Life? Holiday Inn (100mm OS) usually has a band going on around the outdoor pool on weekends. There is another bar right behind them (Coconuts?). Most night life is in KEY WEST, which is a 2 hour drive away.

Have fun.

Mike

scubanurse:
Hello everyone,

I've dived off the Minnow many times... always a good experience! Most dive guides are local independent scuba instructors or divemasters who know the area well. Be sure to let your guide know what your interests are in order to get the most out of your guided dives. Sharon, who guides for Jeff often, is one of the best!

Winter weather can be rough. We've been blown out several times this year already, so prepare a backup plan (topside activities) in case your dives are cancelled due to weather. Everglades NP makes for a great daytrip in the winter. A day of debauchery in Key West is another popular diversion.

If you're prone to motion sickness, consider medicating, as seas are rarely calm this time of year, and a bout with seasickness can mess up your whole day! Current is normally mild (sometimes moderate) on the shallow reef, and moderate (sometimes ripping) on the deep wrecks. AM or PM doesn't seem to matter much to the weather gods here... so take your choice!

Plan on water temperatures of ~70f and cover yourself in neoprene accordingly. By adding a hood to your 3mm full suit, you'll retain heat better. Bring a drybag loaded with dry towells and clothing, and you'll be much more comfortable during the boat ride back to the dock.

For sushi or thai food, Num Thai (mm 103 bayside) gets my vote. For fresh fish, The Fish House (mm 102 oceanside) is a no-brainer. For sunsets, Sundowners (mm 104 bayside) is good. And for burgers, I like the Barge Burger at The Buzzard's Roost (mm 106 oceanside) at Garden Cove Marina. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom