Key Largo - late June or early Oct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to the Molasses Reef down there in Key Largo and it was incredible! I went in June/July time and did not need a wetsuit and I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather/water. It was great weather and visibility. Had the chance to go see the statue of Christ of the Abyss as well. All very cool stuff. I recommend June by far!

Is the Jimmy Buffet restaurant still open down there?

Thank you so much for your replies!

I do realize that having a hurricane ruin our vacation would be very rare..... but I think I am probably the ultimate example of Murphy's Law. If something bad is going to happen, it's going to happen to me. For example, I always get the tank with the leaky o-ring (usually the only one on the boat, all rentals), I gave myself a corneal abrasion accidentally squirting Advantix in my eye (the pet flea/tick prevention) and I did it 4 days before we were supposed to go on a trip with our dive shop, and red tide showed up the day before our mini-trip to Panama City.

But, my birthday is in October.....

Krista

Yes, I thought chance of hurricane ruining vacation would be rare.....but IVAN got me!
They closed the Keys the day before we were to arrive. That got me out of any charges with the HOTEL, but the AIRLINE still SCREWED me since flight was not to Keys! Part of the reason I now DRIVE 1200+ miles one-way whenever I go to Keys!

Mike

Peanut, I'm no scientist by any stretch, but Red Tide is basically an algae bloom that kills lots of fish and turns visibility to about 2 inches. And it kinda burns when it touches your skin. At least it does to me.

That is my basic understanding of red tide, I'm sure others around here are much more knowledgable than I.

You want to dive Largo?
You want a great time?
You want an awesome dive trip?
And you want it economical?

Find the thread on Invade the Keys and come
join us. You will have the best time of your life, and
be diving with some awesome people.
We do a litlle diving,
We do a litlle partying,
We get down at night
We get down at night !!

Seriously you will have a most awesome experience
I go every year and its different each time.
go to the Invade the Keys Dive thread and check it out.

The Captain

Either month is great. I've been diving in Key Largo at least onetime in each of the months :) (though not all the same year :( )

So I'd say do *both* and not worry. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom