Key Largo Trip Report 3-10 / 3-15-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Mike

Reaction score
Just back from a week in Key Largo.

Weather was G R E A T. Not only was it much warmer than Indiana, but the winds died throughout the week, making great boating conditions.

Monday started out with mostly 3 footers and some 4's. The current was ripping, especially on our second dive, which was on the BENWOOD. Viz was the pits and the current made for a long, hard swim to the wreck. Once reaching the wreck, most stayed in the lee until it was time to be whisked back to the boat at the end of the dive.

Tuesday we had 2 footers. First dive was on the Spiegel Grove. There was a slight current on it and the viz wasn't great, but still beat the last time I dove it last year.

Wednesday we had 1 foot waves. We did 2 drift dives along the reef. Again viz wasn't great but a good time was had by all.

Thursday we had mere ripples on the water. First dive was a deep drift followed by another stop at the BENWOOD. This dive was TOTALLY different from our first trip there earlier in the week. There was NO current and the viz was probably 80'. The sun was shining bright on the wreck and there were fish everywhere to be seen. We even saw a sailfish feeding at the surface at the end of the dive. Benwood is my favorite wreck in KL and I could dive it everyday for a week and still not get sick of it.

Friday brought calm surface waters again. We did a drift dive first along the outside edge of the park. The commercial lobstermen were doing well as we drifted past 5 traps on the dive. They had 5, 5, 7, 5 & 2 lobsters in each respectively. On the second dive we went to one of Quiessence's "secret" locations. It is "not visited" by other dive shops. It was a coral bump in an oval shape about 75' wide & 200' long. It was 29' to the sand and about 17' at the top. There was an incredible amount of corals and sea fans growing on it. As well there was an abundance of small fish inhabiting every crack. Tons of grunts under the ledges as well as queen & french angels, parrots, rock beauty's, lobsters and even some urchins. There was a Southern Stingray hiding in the turtle grass at 29'. As well as schools of bar jacks and amber jacks swimming off the point.

All and all it was a great week of diving. Pretty rare for this time of year not to get blown out at least one day.

Also, this is the second year I've dove with Quiessence. The Indiana dive shop I went with had 12 people, so we filled up 2 of their 3 boats. Which made it nice as we got to pick our destinations. They run six packs and are a good alternative if you are trying to stay away from the larger, more crowded boats.

Mike

That sounds really nice ! I was in Key Largo in late January this year and the conditions were horrible. We dove with Horizon divers and had a great time but it was cold and the wind was blowing all week. Rain most days! Our vis was at best 35 feet! Glad to here the conditions were so good. I would recommend Snapper ledge as a must dive in Key Largo!!!!

Wow a sailfish thats amazing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom