Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StacyT

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've read the threads here about diving in Key Largo. I'm making arrangements with Divers City to do 3 2 tank boat dives, and 1 night dive, in September. For those of you that have visited, or live, in Key Largo, where are some good places to eat? Also what are some must do things in Key Largo? What are the best reefs to dive? I'm not really into wreck diving, and want some easy dives.

the best dive sites.

At Key Largo its either very easy reef/wreck dives or AOW deep wrecks.

Nothing really in between.

All dives have good points and you will not be disappointed with whatever you see (where ever you go).

We liked Hobo's and The Fish House as resturants. However, our unit had a kitchen so we ate out very little.

There are not any must see sites above water in Key Largo. Its a dive location - there is very little other activity going on.

That being said its a good place to to lay back and relax.

DeputyDan,

Thanks for the info. I plan to spend as much time in/under the water as possible. I'm taking the in-laws with me, so just trying to find some stuff for them to do while the wife and I do some diving.

My unit will have a ful kitchen, but I still like to eat out for dinner.

The anticipation of going is killing me. Just can't wait to get into some nice warm water again. Ounce you've done warm water diving, cold water just isn't the same.

StacyT once bubbled...
I've read the threads here about diving in Key Largo. I'm making arrangements with Divers City to do 3 2 tank boat dives, and 1 night dive, in September. For those of you that have visited, or live, in Key Largo, where are some good places to eat? Also what are some must do things in Key Largo? What are the best reefs to dive? I'm not really into wreck diving, and want some easy dives.

One of my favorite places to eat in the Keys is Mrs Mac's which is at about mm 99 (just south of where the road splits in Key Largo on the bayside).

Restaurant recommendations:
The HideOut
Snappers
Gus's at the Marriott (expensive but great food and views)
and if you're willing to drive South about 20 miles,
The Green Turtle

Reefs:
We always enjoy French Reef -- there are some swim thrus and a Manta Ray who hangs out there. Molasses Reef is good if you avoid the crowds.

Other diversions for the non-divers include Dolphin Cove and/or Dolphins Plus. And, of course, fishing from the dock of where ever you're staying!

We'll be there July 5 th - 19th, and can't wait to enjoy that warm Atlantic water! Have fun!

Just got back from Key Largo, as for restuarants avoid the AUCE at Whale Harbor, other than that we mostly ate in our room since we had a kitchen. Ask the dive op guys, they will know where the good food is. As for the diving the reefs are great and if your up to it try the Grove if the conditions are good it's a fantastic dive and there is a lot to see from 55 to 65 feet. Good Luck and enjoy. Jeff

divers city is an excellent choice. try the speigel grove, duane, eagle, molasses reef(also a drift on the outer wall), snapper ledge, conch wall, davis reef, the aqarium and the blue hole. for dining: buzzards roost, hobos, sundowners, old tavernier, islamorada fish co, and chads deli(a mile from divers city)(in my opinion avoid snappers and the fish house; overpriced!!!!). ask barbara about the dump(dive site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reefman
key largo

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Thats the kind of info I've been looking for.

I'm not sure about diving the grove. I'm still a pretty green diver, and don't want to dive anything beyond my capabilities. Is it an easy dive?

Check out The Mandalay Restaurant and Tiki Bar, right on the Ocean you can look out and see Rodriguez Key and the light tower at Molassess Reef. Great atmosphere, usually a band and a Killer fish sandwich and fries for 6 bucks!! MM 97.5 Key Largo

StacyT once bubbled...
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Thats the kind of info I've been looking for.

I'm not sure about diving the grove. I'm still a pretty green diver, and don't want to dive anything beyond my capabilities. Is it an easy dive?

StacyT-
I ddn't find it that diffcult, but we had a nearly perfect day and some mild current, but YMMV. Dive what you feel comfortable with. I'd do the reefs and then talk to people about the Grove. Me I'm into wrecks!, so I was pretty sure I wanted to try it. Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom