Keys at Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my diving has been limited to the springs..72 degrees...
and I have to say using a beanie makes a world of difference
as to when I get cold...I use a 3mm full suit for the springs...

Seem like the Keys will be about spring temps then...hopefully...

Thanks Jim for the info. I was thinking of doing some diving down there in Jan or Feb.

Paul

It's always good to get Capt Jim's input in these matters, as he knows as well as anyone what really happens. Not only do you have the "it depends" factor of variances between divers - like me happy in my 5 mil long diving with another diver who was happy in his light vest, but there's also the variances in water and air temp both to allow for. Now I'm thinking about packing my 5 mil and my 7 mil both for my Bahamas trip that week?! :11:

Staying well protected on the surface, with a jacket and just as important - a good cap, will help prevent cumlative body core heat loss. Some ladies tell me that they like to wind dry their hair after dives, but then - they later say they're cold. In the water, a good beanie will also help tremendously, too. Take hair conditioner, and keep your head covered in water and out. Drink warm liquids only, too.

newbie-in-fl wears only a 3 mil & beanie in 72F spring water, but he's not getting the wind treatment one receives on a boat; his tolerance may be more like my above described buddy; and - he may find he needs more coverage as his experience increases. {He doesn't list his experience on his profile?} MOre experienced divers like Capt Jim burn less air. therefore less calories, therefor need more protection.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom