Keys Drive and Dive thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoy a personal guide some times but dislike larger groups since I like to stop and look around. Note that if you like doing your own things the dive ops in the Keys let you go off by yourselves. Typically it is be back in an hour. I like the larger boats since more room to move around on, suit up in, etc. Have dove with some of the others but like Ocean Divers and have dove a bunch with Horizon. If you want it is easy to do 4 dives in a day.

Avoid Rainbow Reef and the rest of the cattle boats (unless you like being crammed in with 30+ divers on one boat- then dealing with them all getting off, diving together, and trying to get on again.

Find one of the smaller operators; my favorite is Quiescence Diving Services, World Class Diving in Key Largo, FL

And we're off :rofl3:

Look into the different dive shops along the way and choose what's best for you. I know you asked for suggestions, and from what I see here most are about Key Largo. But you're driving down the to Key West. Keep in mind that if you like guided dives, then your options would be limited, so with that in mind you would have to hire a guide. There are only 2 in Key Largo, and one in Islamorada that actually supply guides at no extra cost. And I noticed Cozumel was your last trip where it probably was with guides. Also keep in mind whether you like to go deep on wrecks or shallow on reefs, as most of the morning boats are wrecks then reefs.

Captain Hook's in Marathon puts a guide/DM in the water.

I just got back from a long weekend in the Keys and used Conch Republic and Rainbow Reef. I like Conch Republic and had another great trip in their seldom crowded but big stable boat. Rainbow Reef was also enjoyable (on the big boat, at least). The staff is super and if you want a guide at no extra cost, they are a good option. Here's a dive report....
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/488453-key-largo-islamorada-dive-report.html

Most of the bigger boats schedule site selection ahead of time. Most have on-line calendars and you can decide if they are going to places you'll like to see. Conch will let you choose a site if you are the first to book that particular day (I booked with the shop in early Sept and they let me choose 2 of the 6 trips).

I also have used Quiescence and they are a good option if you want a 6-pack experience. A little more expensive than some of the others, but if you want to choose your own sites and have a near private boat, this is the way to go.

Must see sites:

Shallow: Hens and Chickens, Snapper, Davis, Bentwood wreck, Mike's wreck and if you've never dove it, Christ of the Abyss (just to say you dove it: once is plenty)

Deep: Spiegle Grove wreck, Conch Wall reef, Eagle wreck, Duane wreck.

Hotels can be expensive and dirty in the keys. Ocean Pointe has nice condo rentals which may or may not be in your price range. If you want really cheap but micro-tiny rooms that are clean but in need of a coat of paint and general refreshing, you can try The Hungry Pelican. A buddy of mine and I just stayed there but spent no time at the complex except to sleep and watch the sunset of their dock. I'm not going to take my wife there since she's a bit more discriminating in her tastes, but when I make solo trips or trips with 'the guys', I'll stay again.

In the Marathon area, I did four nice dives with Dive Duck Key last year: all were shallow reef dives.

In Key West, I've been out with Captain's Corner a few times and will use them on my next trip in a few weeks. They make trips to the Vandenberg each morning: a wreck worth seeing.

I've stayed in a studio at the Conconut Mallory on Key West a few years ago and had a very nice experience.

I stumbled upon them (Captain Hook's) when I was diving the middle/lower Keys w/o a buddy during the low season. I kept getting cancelled because I was the only diver on the boat. I'm not that big on guided dives, but if you're on your own, it's nice to know you're not dependent on another diver being booked. Now that the wife is certified, I don't have that problem. :D Have fun...

:acclaim: Thanks Steve, that's why I just stayed away from that post! :acclaim:

Icculus, there's the problem with asking for dive ops in the Keys. You get overrun with the Rainbow Reef fanboy club; who think it's the greatest dive op on Earth.

It's not.

It's crowded, costs as much as any other operation, and has no redeeming qualities. We've heard reports that they try to force the divers to stay together as a group (which were shouted down by their fan club). There is nothing that Rainbow, or any of the other cattleboat operations, have that the other operations in the Keys offers. NOTHING.

You'll hear them claim the "free" divemaster (the price is just built into the cost of the boat ride), but you really don't need a guide in the Keys. Most dives are so shallow that you can surface to check your position.

Go with one of the smaller operations; you'll definitely be happier.

Rainbow reef and ocean divers have big boats. That being said both are well run ops and have many repeat customers.

T.C.:

A lot of people do need guides, and enjoy their dives much more without having to pay attention to navigation, if they can even do such effectively. And even some people who don't 'need' guides enjoy having them. Having them included without having to separately arrange it and pay extra is a big plus for a lot of folks.

When I dove with Rainbow Reef Dive Center last September, I did their best deal package; 10 2-tank trips for $600, plus tax & tips. With tax, for $640 something, I had 20 dives over 5 days. Guided dives. Sweet, sweet, sweet! And our little guided groups might've had 6 divers or so with a guide; not some herd. Costs as much as any operation? Anybody offering 20 guided dives cheaper than what I paid?

Rainbow Reef has a fan club because it's provided a lot of good service to a lot of customers consistently enough over a long enough time to enjoy a strong reputation and support.

Key Largo is one of those places with a reputation for having a number of fine dive op.s who have strong reputations. In that, it's a lot like Cozumel. A number of people on the forum sing the praises of Aldora, but it's not the only good op. in Cozumel. From what I am told there are a number of good alternatives to Rainbow Reef, but plenty of people are happy with it, too. If memory serves, you commonly plug Quiescence, me and some others plug Rainbow Reef, it's all good.

No one op. is right for everybody. Consider and pro.s and con.s and charter who you wish.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom