Kids age and diving in Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kckid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What age does my son need to be to dive in Australia? I have tried to search and it seems like the age is at least 12. Do they verify the age? If so how? He will only be about 2 months before being 12 when we arrive, do you think they will let him pass because he looks like he is 12?

Thanks for any information!

hi, the aussie standard is 12 but the padi standard is younger - the thing is if you can get a docs medical certificate you will be able to get him into a class. the child was Jnr certified when she was 12

is he already certified? if so, what type of diving are you planning on doing and where??

cheers

You can get open water certified in the US @ 10 and we have done that. Question is can he dive in Austrailia without being 12?

Also he is only certified to go down 30 feet, so no more than that.

well as long as he has a C card and a adult diving with him filling out the waiver then you should have no problems

where are you planning on diving? if a livaboard - always best to ask them before arriving. i would also bring a copy of his medical clearance for the just in cases... QLD is terrified about being sued or loosing divers so you might find they are the ones with all the hoops to jump thru

if in sydney-if diving on your own or with a aussie buddy, just a matter of rocking up and getting tanks and gear and go diving

but i do belive he will be greeted with enthursisim and support - we love seeing the younger divers having a go!!

Thanks for the info he is really pumped about going. He swims like a fish (like his dad ;] ) Planning on doing Coral Sea for his real first ocean dive... man is he spoiled!

Back
Top Bottom