Kill any giant/interesting sealife you find?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, there was a giant deep-sea frill shark (the eel-looking thing) that was spotted last month. It was pretty close to death, and moving slowly/lethargically enough for a few divers to accompany it into a holding tank in a nearby aquarium. I remember seeing video of it a few years ago, it's VERY capable of moving quickly, so I wouldn't say the recent "staggering" in the footage is how it normally behaves.

I also read about fairly recent attempts to capture and transport a live coelacanth. They weren't hunting for them, merely trying to revive ones that normally get hauled up by local fishermen.

I do get the same feeling as the OP sometimes, though. In the last 6 months, we've had several photos/video sightings of giant squid and the like (usually by Japanese researchers), more than a few accompanied by pictures of a ripped-off tentacle or the entire animal laid out on a boat deck. I'm sure there's a very healthy population of giant squid out there, but it is too bad the specimens they find/study tend to end up dead on a line.

all4scuba05:
gangrel441...You're a fisherman. That explains your attitude about interesting sea creatures. Wouldn't surprise me if you have some mounted in you living room.

See, now...there you go with your assumptions again.

Nothing mounted on the walls, and the largest I have caught was a 5 lb largemouth. I eat or release everything I catch.

Kind of like your assumption that the colossal squid is endangered or that we hare harming the species by hauling one in.

If you are worried about the survival of giant or colossal squid, I guess you better start making plans now to mount your "kill the sperm whales" campaign.... :shakehead

I wonder if this is why you don't hear much about alien abductions anymore. Maybe there's one alien out there with a "be kind to humans" t-shirt that's pulling for us and got the alien law changed to where we are to be "observed" only. I wonder how many humans are mounted on alien walls...wait, did I say that out loud?

Oh god, they can hear me!

all4scuba05:
I doubt the fishermen pulled it out of the water in the name of science. More like fame and a trophy.

Look, if they planned on catching and killing a giant squid that day, they would have brough a s**t-load of butter. It was no more than an accidental catch.

There are bigger fish to fry...wait, bad choice of words...other causes that are more critical that we can have an impact on.

Look at the success humanity had in ending the beta-max tape format threat, disco and the "Pet Rock". We can overcome!!!!:D

gangrel441:
See, now...there you go with your assumptions again.

Nothing mounted on the walls, and the largest I have caught was a 5 lb largemouth. I eat or release everything I catch.

Kind of like your assumption that the colossal squid is endangered or that we hare harming the species by hauling one in.

If you are worried about the survival of giant or colossal squid, I guess you better start making plans now to mount your "kill the sperm whales" campaign.... :shakehead
Get one while you still can.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Museum-Quality-...ryZ66638QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

If they don't haul up the occaisional creature from the deep, they'll never learn about their physiology and the environment down there, and they won't know how or if we're affecting it with polution and whatnot. Not everything can be learned by just watching them in their natural environment.

No animal that is designed to live at 2000 feet is going to do so hot once it gets to the surface. And as far as taking pictures, you be the one to get in the water with your camera when the animal is hooked and it would be you vs a 30 ft squid. I'm thinking I'll just wait on deck for the animal to get hauled up the rest of the way, it would die anyways otherwise after doing that much ascent.

torrey:
I wonder how many humans are mounted on alien walls...wait, did I say that out loud?

Oh god, they can hear me!
Yes we can......:alien_2:

I think as usual, people are making too much out of this and out of perspective. We have people starving, cultures diappearing, people dying for reasons of greed, hatred and what not, child labour and worse.

And yet we are overbearingly dishearted about animal death.

I am not saying 'go around shoot and mount it on your wall or wear it', but geez...... one squid caught? We don't even know how many there are, let alone if it is endangered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom