Kind of getting lost in all the info for my first purchase...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, when floating at the surface, the crotch strap was also sometimes annoying, but that was probably because I inflated my wing pretty full. The waves were pretty strong at times, so I wanted to keep my face further out of the water. The solution is to not inflate as full, and to lean back more.

The solution is to be properly weighted. The overweighted diver needs to fully inflate their wing. The properly weighted diver needs only a puff of gas in their wing. With just a puff of gas behind your shoulders there is zero need to lean back.

Keep in mind *any* portion of your wing that above the surface of the water provides *NO* lift as is displaces *NO* water. Comfort at the surface is about being properly weighted.

Tobin

I thought with a BP/W, if using two bottles, then they are sidemounted. I obviously don't know the difference between the two. Can I use a single tank with a sidemount system for getting started, and then I'm sort of set for when I get to more advanced diving?

First, if you left your LDS thinking that BP/W=sidemount, then you should find a new shop! Either the staff are very misinformed, or they are terrible at explaining their gear. The "side" tanks you see on a true BP/W set-up are used in addition to, not instead of, the back mounted tank(s).

Your first step should be to forget about the equipment specifics, and research side-mount versus back-mount. Once you have decided which style suits your diving plans best, then you can start making decisions about specific equipment.

1) Do you have to use a crotch strap for a BP/W system??? Seriously? If so, then I may really rethink the BP/W setup. . . . This might be a deal breaker.
Maybe, a better approach, than trying to reassure you that a crotch strap is OK / great / not noticeable, etc, is to ask you: What is your particular concern about a crotch strap, that would make it a 'deal breaker'? I am not suggesting you shouldn't have one, or that your concern is unimportant, instead I would like to know what the concern might be.
Ready4Launch:
As a gear-junky with all the other things I do, I kinda want to know the "who's who" and how they rank for BC's. I see a lot of talk for Dive Rite. Not so much for Hollis, but it looked like the Hollis SMS 100 was the top of the line BC at the LDS. Aqualung? Would appreciate someone kind of ranking them out and a quick blurb why.
Any 'ranking', or list of 'Who's who', would be very subjective. And, all that any subjective ranking would do is add to what you have already lamented, as 'information overload'. There are few 'bad' companies out there. So, you could be quite comfortable getting a BP/W from a) Dive Rite, b) Oxycheq, c) Hollis, d) Apeks, e) Halcyon, f) Scubapro, g) HOG, h) . . . imagine a list of 10 others and put them here. I taught for a number of years through a LDS where Halcyon was 'top of the line' - if the owner was talking to you - but Zeagle was 'top of the line' - if the Manager was talking to you. I now teach through a shop where Apeks is 'top of the line', but I also use the pool at another shop where Scubapro is 'top of the line'. Who is 'top of the line' has very much to do with what shop you visit, and what product lines they carry, and who you are talking to and what their personal preferences are. Don't get hung up on that, it is a needlessly frustrating, and counter-productive, endeavor.
Ready4Launch:
How does mexican food come into play for scuba gear? Yeah, I'm sure I know what it means, but I don't know why a wing that fills up and squeezes around a tank would be a bad thing...?
Efficiency? Streamlining? Drag? The problem is, it doesn't fill up - the bladder is larger than the volume of air needed for buoyancy. Trying to swim through water with a big bag floating above your back creates drag, for which the diver then has to compensate through more vigorous finning, which increases air consumption, reduces dive time, etc. (and, trying to maintain good trim, when you have a small air bubble freely moving around in a big bag, also decreases efficiency). A related question - do most airliners take off with a full load of fuel every time, or do they take on what they need for the planned trip (distance, altitude, speed, forecast winds aloft, etc., etc.), with reserve, based on passenger and cargo load (weight), etc? To carry more fuel than necessary is inefficient and increases fuel consumption. To have a wing bigger than necessary is inefficient and increases air consumption.
Ready4Launch:
how do I get my weight figured out once I make a BP/W decision?
Oh, boy, you have opened the cover of Pandora's Box with that one - and raised issues about what your instructor - possibly, the one that put you in 22 lbs of lead - actually taught you in OW. I suggest you close that one for now.
Ready4Launch:
I travel a lot for work, and I do anticipate diving when the oppty presents itself on occassion, so I was thinking an aluminum backplate, but I don't really know.
Although AL plates have been previously used as the lightweight approach - for divers who want to minimize luggage weight, or who are inherently negatively buoyant and don't need any added weight when diving a 1mm wetsuit in 80 degree tropical waters, several manufacturers (e.g. Dive Rite) have moved away from AL plates altogether and gone with lighter SS plates that offer the weight equivalent to AL. In reality, many people can use only a SS plate for recreational, single cylinder diving and be just fine - I am one of those, as an example, and always need to add some weight - even in the 80+ degree waters of Bonaire, I add 2 lbs when diving my SS BP. In your case, given where MOST of your diving is likely to occur, and the amount of weight that you have been using, I would seriously consider a 5-6 lb SS plate.
Ready4Launch:
5) Based on my info that's to follow, can someone maybe make some suggestions?
Yes, I will echo one that several people have already made, given where you are:
TSandM:
Go out to Pasadena and talk to Tobin. Even if you don't buy a DSS rig, you'll learn more than you could possibly learn from what we can write for you. It will all make better sense when you can see it in front of you.
cb5150:
pick up the phone and call Tobin at Deep Sea Supply and tell him everything that you just told Scubaboard. He will have you set up in a wonderful, reasonably priced, system in no time flat.
I am not suggesting that he stands alone at the top of some hypothetical 'Who's who' list, or is the 'top of the line' - there are many others who can provide good assistance, some of whom post here on SB. But, Tobin is a GREAT resource, and if he is local to you, use him and Deep Sea Supply to help get you where you want to go.

You are asking some good questions. But, it is also apparent that you are getting just enough from your reading - e.g. 'I just saw in another thread that weighting for BP/W wasn't ditch-able' - to be misled. Ideally, what should be happening is that you are becoming aware that you need further information (hence your post here), and do NOT yet enough to draw informed conclusions.

Last edited:
I thought with a BP/W, if using two bottles, then they are sidemounted. I obviously don't know the difference between the two. Can I use a single tank with a sidemount system for getting started, and then I'm sort of set for when I get to more advanced diving?

First, if you left your LDS thinking that BP/W=sidemount, then you should find a new shop! Either the staff are very misinformed, or they are terrible at explaining their gear. The "side" tanks you see on a true BP/W set-up are used in addition to, not instead of, the back mounted tank(s).

I think I can clear up the confusion here.

The shop offered the Hollis SMS 100 as an option. Some people have pointed out that this is a side mount system. Yes, it is, but it can also be used with back mounted single tanks. You can set it up with one tank on the back or with two at the sides. I suspect the OP is remembering some of that explanation but not all of that explanation.

The SMS 100 is not a normal plate and wing system--not even close. It might be exactly what you want, but it should not be confused with standard BP/Ws. Even if you are considering the idea of the Hollis SMS 100, it is more than most divers will need. You would probably prefer the smaller Hollis SMS 75 instead.

I made an offer earlier to supply my bpw article to anyone who asks. I've gotten a number of requests. I wanted to let you all know I will send it tonite after class. I was not home last night and don't have access to the file from a remote location.

I made an offer earlier to supply my bpw article to anyone who asks. I've gotten a number of requests. I wanted to let you all know I will send it tonite after class. I was not home last night and don't have access to the file from a remote location.

Jim, you need to discover the gold that is Google Drive. :D

To the OP. I see that you took your class in Ventura. I am 30min north of Ventura in Santa Barbara. I have a DSS BP/W that I am more than happy to show to you to get you over your crotch strap phobia.

Went to the LDS. Talked about some BC's. Went away from there believing that BP/W is what I want. Still think it's what I want. But, now ... it's a bit of information overload reading through everything here.

You either have an unusual LDS, or what happened was you hated the jacket BCs they tried to sell you. In either case, you're way ahead of the game for a brand new diver. I would not be in a hurry to buy anything; maybe try to get a few dives with different types of set ups and see what will work best for you. In general, the simpler, the better. To me the ideal set up is a steel plate, one-piece webbing harness, and small wing. That's it.

The BP/W started life in the technical diving world and has somewhat recently begun to make in-roads in the huge recreational diving gear companies. That explains why some of the smaller companies are rarely seen in recreational dive shops, preferring to sell direct to customers or focus on shops that cater primarily to technical divers. The market is just not that big, although rec/tech sort of hybrid gear seems to be gaining popularity at dive shops.

Anyhow, your first step is probably to find some local technical divers that can lend you some set ups to try. Tobin is a very good resource and is not at all a pushy sales-type. He really will answer questions with blunt honesty and detailed knowledge. Buying his gear without trying it is less risky because A) he is an expert at fitting people with the right set up, and B) his stuff has very good resale value.

Ready4Launch,

I was in the same situation as you when I was looking for my first BC last month. It was a bit overwhelming reading so much since I am still new. I just went with what I was comfortable with and bought a jacket style BC. I will probably upgrade to a bp/w's later.

Back
Top Bottom