Knife Mounted on BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And of course, you could ask yourself if you would be OK with shears and a trilobite. That's what I use - safer for me, more cutting power, and cheaper.

I guess there are a few applications where you an actual knife would be helpful (spearfishing, making a line anchor for a search), but I have the shears on my waist webbing and the trilobite on my computer wrist bungee... works pretty well.

Hey thatdiver, Its really hard to give a suggestion on a knife, shears, line cutter without knowing what you feel comfortable using underwater. However, the only suggestion I can give is to make sure it is mounted to where you can access it with both hands if need be. Here is a short video that talks about mounting dive knives. Scuba Tip: How To Mount A Dive Knife - YouTube. Hope this helps..... And for the record I do prefer shears over a knife. XS Scuba has an awesome Shear Knife Combo, Large and Compact XS Scuba KN200 FogCutter X Recon Scuba Knife, XS Scuba KN125 Mini FogCutter Knife, XS Scuba KN150 FogCutter X Blunt Tip Scuba Knife.[h=1]
kn150-main.jpg
kn200-main.jpg
kn125-main.jpg
[/h]

Hey thatdiver, Its really hard to give a suggestion on a knife, shears, line cutter without knowing what you feel comfortable using underwater. However, the only suggestion I can give is to make sure it is mounted to where you can access it with both hands if need be. Here is a short video that talks about mounting dive knives. Scuba Tip: How To Mount A Dive Knife - YouTube. Hope this helps..... And for the record I do prefer shears over a knife. XS Scuba has an awesome Shear Knife Combo, Large and Compact XS Scuba KN200 FogCutter X Recon Scuba Knife, XS Scuba KN125 Mini FogCutter Knife, XS Scuba KN150 Fogim liking this typCutter X Blunt Tip Scuba Knife.
kn150-main.jpg
kn200-main.jpg
kn125-main.jpg

im liking this type of knife / shears im going to buy one after Christmas

its ok to mount the knife on the bc but DONT put it knife fighting (commando style ) upside down i saw a guy stab himself in the throat putting it back in .....this is a pet peeve of mine ....

Having started whitewater rafting many years ago, I have always worn my knife handle down on my PFD. Since getting back in to diving I still wear my knife handle down on my inflator hose. No matter where the knife is mounted some idiot will stab themself with it. I have never seen or had a problem. It's not the mount it's the user.
RichH

Cut myself using a knife to remove a glow stick from a tank in Coz many years ago. Found out how to get a tetanus shot in Mexico in the middle of the night.

Hard to stab yourself with trauma shears, and I'll bet that they cut tough stuff like wire better than the Fog Cutter. Plus you can get five of them for the price of one of the combo tools.

I'm a big fan of the simplicity of the XS Scuba shears/knife combo as well- in addition to a small BCD mounted knife.

I recommend titanium shears, as a diving safety device they are superior to a knife. Shears only require one hand to use, knives generally require two (i.e. one hand to hold the line, the other to hold the knife). Shears will cut through just about everything including steel fishing leaders and net wire. Shears are much more precise - if you had fishing line wrapped around your head and neck, would you prefer I cut you out with a knife or shears? Shears are way cheaper. You can buy 10 shears for the price of an expensive knife. Hook your buddies up with a pair and explain their advantages, most divers have never considered them.

I also always carry a small knife on my waist belt but hardly ever use it.

Hey thatdiver, Its really hard to give a suggestion on a knife, shears, line cutter without knowing what you feel comfortable using underwater. However, the only suggestion I can give is to make sure it is mounted to where you can access it with both hands if need be. Here is a short video that talks about mounting dive knives. Scuba Tip: How To Mount A Dive Knife - YouTube. Hope this helps..... And for the record I do prefer shears over a knife. XS Scuba has an awesome Shear Knife Combo, Large and Compact XS Scuba KN200 FogCutter X Recon Scuba Knife, XS Scuba KN125 Mini FogCutter Knife, XS Scuba KN150 FogCutter X Blunt Tip Scuba Knife.
kn150-main.jpg
kn200-main.jpg
kn125-main.jpg

I would absolutely not recommend this style, you lose all the major advantages of conventional EMT style shears. These are fat and have outward cutting edges on both sides, which is not optimal if you were trying to do some precision cutting to free your buddy - like fishing net wrapped in his manifold/regulator/body. EMT shears are slim with a blunt nose and outward edges designed to slide into tight spaces without accidentally cutting something you weren't intending to, like your buddies skin or gear.

As you can see thatdiver, Each diver has his own opinion on what to get. All have made valuable points, as with my original response, I still favor the shears, being more detailed I should have said the EMT shears in particular, the XS Scuba combo was thrown into the mix to show you a go between option. Once you decide whatever the knife, shear, or what ever cutting device you decide to use would be for your benefit, then you can worry about where to mount it. Keep in mind, mounting in a location that it can be reached with both hands is a consideration. Looking at others responses in the matter should tell you that there is not going to be a magic cutting tool that works for everybody. But that is the great thing about this industry, there are so many tools at our disposal, and so many great ideas on how to use them. I'm sure you will take these responses and roll with them. And you will probably be like the rest of us in several years. You will probably have a box full of diving knives and cutting tools, and still be trying to decide on which one works for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom