Knife on leg or bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While we are on this...I was told I need "a" dive dive knife, especially in the low vis lakes of Texas, but everybody seems to be carrying multiply number of knife/shears combination. What's the minium # recommended/needed?

desert camel:
And if you dive in california, a medium size knife is useful, since you will encounter kelp bed from time to time.

desert camel

Good point (no pun intended) on the kelp. When I dove in CA kelp, most people also recommended brightly-colored hose wraps so you don't accidently cut a hose when trying to free yourself from the kelp.

"The dive knife should only be attached to the leg in "sea Hunt" episodes and older James Bond movies, especially if they are attached to the likes of Ursula Andrews."

That is funny.

When I was certified big knives were the rule and they usually went on the leg. Some people wore them on the upper leg and most on the lower. Many of the knives of that time had scabards that were shaped to fit the leg. The TechniSub Grissbi knife I have sitting beside me here is such a knife. Over time I have seen the preferred dive knife evolve from a weapon into a pair of scissors--lol--kinda funny the way peoples thinking changes over time and is so based in their original training. Sometime about 1980 I moved my knife up from my leg to my backplate waiste strap on the left side usually. It is a 6 inch razor sharp blade pointed blade that makes quick work of anything short of steel cable. I have also seen smaller knives like the old Scuba Pro Stilleto worn on the upper arm.
I think there is much to be said for the scissors and the small blunt knives --as long as they have a line cutter and a sawing edge they should be very useful. A knife is not something you need often in diving but if you need it then it won't do any good if it is on a dive store shelf. N

I paid $14.95 for a small knife from LeisurePro that I keep mountd on my waistbelt. it works there.

My dive knife is conveniently secured on my BC, left shoulder strap beneath my Air 2, carry a set of shears in my right BC pocket. In an entanglement situation it is easier to reach across or into your pocket of your BC to get your tool to cut yourself out.

I prefer mine on my shelf in the garage at home. That way I won't get entangled, and don't need to use it. It's always more difficult to deal with two lose ends than one, why not just undo the entanglement.

"I prefer mine on my shelf in the garage at home."

If it is vintage and comes with Ursula can you please send it to me. Well, forget Ursula but I will give the knife a loving home. N

i have a small knife mounted on the side of my bc, i dive mostly in warm water and i would only use the knife to cut through line, so i dont see why i need to carry a rambo knife straped to my leg

EMT shears, left side of waist strap. Dive knife in bin of spare parts at home.

down4fun:
Do you prefer a dive tool that attaches to your BC or your leg? and why? while we are at what size?
thanks
I prefer a small blade (3" or less) attached to the bc. I actually wear mine on harness, but anywhere on the bc is acceptable. The purpose is being able to reach it when you actually need it. This would be in an entanglement situation, where reaching for your lower leg would be difficult or impossible.

I was on a wreck off the northern keys in poor visibility and I swam through some fishing line. I was greatfull I didn't have to reach far for my knife. The smaller blade was sharp and easy to use with stabbing myself. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom