Knife on leg or bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, clearly I was having a momentary spell, probably due to the thought of a knife lying about lonesome gathering dust and rust.

LOL--size issues, why, what might you be talking about? I don't think Jim Bowie had any "size" issues---lol and if he had scuba dived he would surely have carried a knife worthy of his name. N

My knife goes on the inside left leg. Besides cutting mono I use the knife primarily to kill fish. I don't want it on my bc where it is harder for me to see where the sharp point is going when I re-sheath it. I can look down on my leg easier than I can my bc. I think it's easier to find on my leg when I need it and have a thrashing fish in my left hand.

So I see that Dive Rite has a handy dandy package of shears and pouch. Is anyone using these or are the "shear carrying divers" just getting medical shears for cheap and then putting them in a pocket in the BCD?

I use my old faithful Wenoka 5" knife on my lower right leg, a small Akona Knife (3") straped upside down on the right shoulder strap of the harness and below the Akona I got a Dive Rite Small Z-Knife in its holster, just between the 2 D-Rings on the Harness.

I don't like cutting devices near the currugated hose.

densha99:
So I see that Dive Rite has a handy dandy package of shears and pouch. Is anyone using these or are the "shear carrying divers" just getting medical shears for cheap and then putting them in a pocket in the BCD?

I bought mine in a pouch. Not sure who made it though. I also immediately pulled the shears out to cut off the plastic d-ring that came on the bottom of the pouch. They're good to go now.

Honestly no knife, I would just chew my way out of an entanglement

I've got mounting points for cutting devices on my right chest strap and both pockets. I usually carry a knife on the right strap and shears on the left pocket.

If the location bans knives, I'll move the shears up to my strap and lose the knife.

Some of you guys carry more backup blades than air sources. Interesting.

I'm trying to find a good place to mount a small dive knife on my BCD (jacket-style), and have seen a lot of good ideas here and elsewhere.

Those of you that secure a knife to your right shoulder strap... makes sense. No hoses there, and generally less "busy."

But are you right-handed? How do you remove and replace the knife... with contorted right hand? Or left hand, then switch to right?

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom