Knife on leg or bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fly N Dive:
i have a small knife mounted on the side of my bc, i dive mostly in warm water and i would only use the knife to cut through line, so i dont see why i need to carry a rambo knife straped to my leg

The only guys that have Rambo knifes have size issues :crafty:

ShakaZulu:
I prefer mine on my shelf in the garage at home. That way I won't get entangled, and don't need to use it. It's always more difficult to deal with two lose ends than one, why not just undo the entanglement.

The most common thing to become entangled with is monofiliment fish line. I can't see the
stuff underwater (It is made to be that way.) so un-entangling it by hand is not easy.

I carry EMT shears on the left BC strap and a small "BC Knife" on the BC's waist strap next
to the buckle. Shear work well on line and you can do it by "feel". Safer than a kife too, I think.

I used to use a leg knife on the inner lower leg. But it was a bit of a "kelp magnent" and would tangle up in kelp all the time.

You don't need a knife to un-do kelp. Finger work well enough and I can normaly get the stuff off without need to damage it. when that fails i can break it with my hands.

It's that fishing line that's a pain in the but.

It's best to have two cutting tools but both can be small and low cost.

I carry EMT shears on the left BCD strap and a Z-Knife on the BCD waist strap. Can get to both with either hand. Made 2 of the home made knives. They usually stay in save a dive kit.

The bottomline is, whatever makes you feel comfortable, do it. If you think you need a M16 or nuke warhead just in case you may run into Bin Laden underwater, bring it. However, you don't want to take your house with you since I don't think it will be comfortable that way. I am sure after not too many dives, you will be able to figure out what is essential and what is just for scaring the great whites away. So just keep diving and you will be fine. :cheers:

"just in case you may run into Bin Laden underwater, bring it."

Oh, so that is where he has been. Did he have a knife? N

Diving in Polish lakes and Polish part of the Baltic sea chances that you will get into the fishermans nets are very high. So we all carry cutting devices. Knife - in case of the fisherman's net - is useless. Most of us either have special knifes used for cutting the car's safety belts (here you can buy them in any hardware shop) or - please forgive me because I don't know the word in English - sort of scizors that are used in the gardening (is that what you call "shears"?). All of them are attached to the body of a diver rather than legs - once cought by the net you would probably not be able to reach for them.
Mania

I carry a "rambo" knife, outside, right leg in a very low-profile scabbard....as soon as I hit bottom, first thing I do is pull it out of the scabbard, slip the attached lanyard over my wrist...use it for probing tapping, prying, butt for hammering. Very dull, I can grab it by the blade with no worries of cutting myself....., long, broad blade that you can use for leverage when you're prying...more like a tool than a knife. It also has a line cutter for small stuff like mono. I also use it to hold myself off the bottom as a pivot point. I have a VERY sharp knife attached to my BC strap next to my power inflator...only used if I need to cut a heavier line....I also have a pair of EMT shears in my BC pocket, right side. When you ask a question like this, keep in mind that there are hundreds of different kinds of diving scenarios.....try a couple of variations and come up with a configuration that works for you with the kind of diving you do.

Nemrod:
"forget Ursula

(gasp!!!!!)

forget Ursula

forget Ursula??

forget Ursula??

someone fetch a Mod to berate this diving blasphemy

How could anyone forget Ursula????

DMP:
The only guys that have Rambo knifes have size issues :crafty:

For working dives, I carrry the Becker dive tool built for the Special Operations Groups, such as Navy SEAL's and others. You are, perhaps, referring to the size of their "units"? :11:

I have a NDiver titanium on my leg, plus a mini knife cable tied to my BC shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom