Koh Lanta(getting there)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First dive was pretty relax but suddenly I noticed all the fish, small or big, made a mad dash away from the open water. I turned around and hopefully expecting some big animals coming for lunch. But all I saw was a kind of sandstorm and was hit with really cold water!
I've seen that at Richelieu Rock several times; people were referring to it as 'The Green Monster'.

According to the DM, last Dec was really terrible and visibility was less than 5m in some places. However, the situation has improved significantly.
Anyone who is arriving soon at Phuket for diving should pack an extra layer of thermal protection.
I really regretted that I did not bring my newish 3mm instead of the old one.

A diver had shown me the video she took this morning on the way out.
1. A small pod of dolphin not far from the pier.
2. The white colour whale which recently hit the headline in Thailand.

She was really really happy with the encounter.

Anyone who is arriving soon at Phuket for diving should pack an extra layer of thermal protection.
I really regretted that I did not bring my newish 3mm instead of the old one.
Hrmph. I'm going on a liveaboard next week (The Smiling Seahorse blackwater trip). I normally dive in a 3mm full length suit, and I have done a 90-minute dive in 22-degree water (Eilat) in it, but you're making me worry - perhaps I should look at getting a hooded vest before I head out.

Hrmph. I'm going on a liveaboard next week (The Smiling Seahorse blackwater trip). I normally dive in a 3mm full length suit, and I have done a 90-minute dive in 22-degree water (Eilat) in it, but you're making me worry - perhaps I should look at getting a hooded vest before I head out.
I thought I was well prepared with a long sleeve thermal top, a short sleeve Mares 0.5mm top + old 3mm full suit. I was WRONG.
We all have different tolerance to coldness so the ball is in your court. You have been to Thailand quite often recently so you should have more experience than I on this matter.
When I return to Koh Lanta next Jan I will definitely pack differently for thermal protection. There is no solution for being cold under water and the p has very limited effect.

לקחת חליפת צלילה 5 מ"מ

Add to packing a bibbed hood, sharkskin long sleeve.

Yeah, thing is, I'm already in Thailand, while my 5mm two-piece is back in Israel.
Stop by a dive shop?

I did that on my last trip to Bali because my Sharkskin etc, was missig when I packed for the trip. I haven't found it yet but I'm assuming that those things are in a tote in my storage locker.

Photos of a thermocline and upwelling of sand/cold water.

It took me from 20 metres to 8 metres in a minute and water temp dropped by 6 c, we could see the sand coming as a wave, fish swam away and took about 20 mins before we cleared it. DM said he had only seen this once before at the site

Attachments

• E5E6B679-06BE-45A5-86AB-FA36FEE07622.jpeg
    E5E6B679-06BE-45A5-86AB-FA36FEE07622.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 21E05A84-2D9E-4834-9744-ABBB73138515.jpeg
    21E05A84-2D9E-4834-9744-ABBB73138515.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 26
  • F973F785-A64B-429B-A0EC-62D849BF3598.jpeg
    F973F785-A64B-429B-A0EC-62D849BF3598.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 25
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back