Koh Lanta(getting there)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my mate has several dry suits including a tropical one. Dry suit has other issues to worry about and I do not think it is suitable for my type of diving/travelling.
Yeah, thing is, I'm already in Thailand, while my 5mm two-piece is back in Israel. I'm gonna see if I can purchase a hooded vest somewhere around here.
You might not need it.
Good luck.

Koh Bida
Two miserable dives!!!
Conditions were awful. On the first dive two divers jumped in and had to call for attention: small jelly fish everywhere. Picked up the divers and moved to somewhere round the corner. Three cuttle fishes were having fun. Good start at last? Not so lucky, hit by incoming thermocline again and again. Vis dropped. At the end of the dive there were small jelly fish on the shadow, kept ducking away but eventually still got stung on my forehead and upper lip!! Vinegar was ready for anyone who need it when back on the boat.
one ghost pipe fish.
Second dive was slightly better becuase there was no jelly fish. Vis was suck because of thermocline.
One of the diver comment: the most miserable dive ever in his life!!

Hin Daeng and Hin Muang
Slightly overcast but the sea was flat so the journey on a speed boat was NOT uncomfortable at all.
The first diver who entered the water and shot back: No jelly fish!!! Great.
Water was relatively cold and vis was very poor in both sites.
A lot of activities around the reef as the school of small fish was hunt by mainly jack. Current was quite strong in some places. There are mooring lines so getting back to the boat was relatively easy.
Unfortunately there was no sight of any pelmagic. And given the vis, I won't be able to spot even a whaleshark from 20m away.
Anyway, much more enjoyable dives than yesterday.

Changing money in Koh Lanta.
The rate is NOT bad at all.
B34.40 to US$1.00. It was 34 .68 at NC+ in Phuket old town.
For a grand the difference is B228.00. What can you get for that?
Two bottles of large Chang beer or 3 - 4 dishes of Thai famous street food.
Never ever change the money at the airport unless you have no choice.

Koh Ha
Last day of diving in Koh Lanta.
Weather was fine and sea was flat.
Arrived at the site and before anyone could jump in, the crew has noticed bus loaded of jelly fish. Moved to other site and all was fine except on safety stop later on.
Water was relative cold 25 - 26C and vis was acceptable. The DM managed to find 5 - 6 of female ornate ghost pipe fish in one spot. Apparently, ornate ghost pipe fish is quite common nowadays.
No pelagic.
Second dive(last dive in Koh Lanta).
Looking for the Harlequin shrimp which the DM has spotted it recently but without any luck. PITY. I have only seen it once in Indonesia many yrs ago.

Tomorrow is the rest day and then move to Koh Lipe on Monday for 4 days of diving.

Photos of a thermocline and upwelling of sand/cold water.

It took me from 20 metres to 8 metres in a minute and water temp dropped by 6 c, we could see the sand coming as a wave, fish swam away and took about 20 mins before we cleared it. DM said he had only seen this once before at the site
It's not a thermocline. It's nutrient rich coldwater upwelling from the depths. Actually very good for productivity and will increase the chance for some big species like stingrays and guitar sharks along with abundant fish. Not so great when it's happening though as it's bloody cold and viz is terrible. It's common enough, every few years it's strong. Can be caused by strong NE monsoon winds blowing the warm surface water offshore and allowing it to be replaced by cold water from depth.

It's not a thermocline. It's nutrient rich coldwater upwelling from the depths. Actually very good for productivity and will increase the chance for some big species like stingrays and guitar sharks along with abundant fish. Not so great when it's happening though as it's bloody cold and viz is terrible. It's common enough, every few years it's strong. Can be caused by strong NE monsoon winds blowing the warm surface water offshore and allowing it to be replaced by cold water from depth.
I was unsure whether it was a thermocline, but was definitely a strong localised cold water upwelling which occurred suddenly as the tides were changing.

I though it was caused by El Nino and the associated strongly positive Indian Ocean Dipole that is occurring this year which causes an upwelling of cold water around Thailand rather than monsoons

I though it was caused by El Nino and the associated strongly positive Indian Ocean Dipole that is occurring this year which causes an upwelling of cold water around Thailand rather than monsoons
El nino definitely contributes, thats why they're strong every few years, but can happen any year from wind effects. I saw it happen plenty down there and the knock on effect was usually some cool marine life sightings.

El nino definitely contributes, thats why they're strong every few years, but can happen any year from wind effects. I saw it happen plenty down there and the knock on effect was usually some cool marine life sightings.
I actually quite liked seeing it / diving in it as it was a not something I had witnessed at scale before, I have seen thermoclines before and this was different.

It did freak out one guy on the dive who sucked his tank in a matter of minutes after it hit, I stayed diving in it for 20 plus minutes until it cleared hoping to something big was using it as an opportunity to hunt

I had asked some fellow divers on the boat and they all complained about the coldness and the poor vis.
I have been here a few times and know what it was like previously. But for first time visitor the first impression is NOT that great.
If my buddies back home asked about this trip, I have to warn them about this phenomenon.

Heading to Koh Lipe tomorrow for more diving.

Back
Top Bottom