Komodo Island in March for Manta Rays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all!

I would like to go to Komodo island to go diving with manta rays and the only month that works out for me is March, is this a good month to go there to see manta rays or should I go somewhere else? For what I've been reading it looks like April-November is better but was wondering if March is still good.

Also, what are usually the conditions while diving in Manta Point? I am AOW with 40+ dives but still struggle a bit with strong currents (I manage but I burn through a lot of air)

I am open to recommendations,

Thanks!
Gio

As a junior OW diver, I don't think your qualified to dive in Komodo but it's your decision. But why are you going all the way to Komodo to see Manta Ray's, it's much easier to see them in Bali at Nusa Penida and Lembongan islands.

As a junior OW diver, I don't think your qualified to dive in Komodo but it's your decision. But why are you going all the way to Komodo to see Manta Ray's, it's much easier to see them in Bali at Nusa Penida and Lembongan islands.

I haven't heard about Nusa Penida nor Lembongan, but I'll take a look. Would it be better going there in March or April?
Thanks!

I haven't heard about Nusa Penida nor Lembongan, but I'll take a look. Would it be better going there in March or April?
Thanks!
They are right next to Bali...easier to get to. April would be better but March is okay too.

Just to add my two cents...

You can fly to amazing Bali, take a 45-minute boat to Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penida (two islands just to the east of Bali), and do some very, very good diving where you will very likely see mantas.

...or...

You can fly to amazing Bali, take a 45-minute airplane to Labuan Bajo, and do world-class diving in the Komodo National Park (arguably one of the best areas in the Coral Triangle), where you will very likely see mantas.

If I were coming all the way from Argentina to dive Indonesia, I would absolutely take one more step past Bali.

Hi all!

I would like to go to Komodo island to go diving with manta rays and the only month that works out for me is March, is this a good month to go there to see manta rays or should I go somewhere else? For what I've been reading it looks like April-November is better but was wondering if March is still good.

Also, what are usually the conditions while diving in Manta Point? I am AOW with 40+ dives but still struggle a bit with strong currents (I manage but I burn through a lot of air)

I am open to recommendations,

Thanks!
Gio
I am at about the same experience level as you. I do not have experience in currents though. I was originally booked on a Raja crossing trip but realized it was too much. Instead, I am doing Komodo land based. On land they can take guests to different sites based on their abilities and they can decide the day of which sites to visit. I spoke to someone at Scuba Junkie Komodo who assured me that it would be in good hands (I haven't been yet so I cannot comment on their outfit, but I've heard good things)

Scuba Junkies has a good, affordable thing going on. They are for sure a great way to ease into diving in Indonesia's currents. Their staff is awesome, and are able to easily cater to divers of all abilities. You made a solid choice.

@argross91
You didn't hear it wrong and will be fine with SJ Komodo.

@giovannirescia
Ignora el comentario de @JonnieB

Check this one:

No diver ever enjoying kicking against current. You will be drifting with the current most of time. The only exception is Shot Gun.

How often you find the senior expat staffs speak the local language in most places in SE Asia? You will be in safe hands.

Have fun.

Where did you get the impression @giovannirescia(AOW with 40+ dives) is a junior OW diver?

@argross91
You didn't hear it wrong and will be fine with SJ Komodo.

@giovannirescia

Check this one:

No diver ever enjoying kicking against current. You will be drifting with the current most of time. The only exception is Shot Gun.

How often you find the senior expat staffs speak the local language in most places in SE Asia? You will be in safe hands.

Have fun.
I've officially confirmed 2 weeks at SJ in May! It's gonna be fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom