Komodo Island in March for Manta Rays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can fly to amazing Bali, take a 45-minute airplane to Labuan Bajo, and do world-class diving in the Komodo National Park (arguably one of the best areas in the Coral Triangle), where you will very likely see mantas.

If I were coming all the way from Argentina to dive Indonesia, I would absolutely take one more step past Bali.
The answer is so obvious isn't it?
I really cannot see any alternative on this!!!

To suggest Bali over Komodo is absolutely mindless if one has to travel half way round the world.

Hi all!

I would like to go to Komodo island to go diving with manta rays and the only month that works out for me is March, is this a good month to go there to see manta rays or should I go somewhere else? For what I've been reading it looks like April-November is better but was wondering if March is still good.

Also, what are usually the conditions while diving in Manta Point? I am AOW with 40+ dives but still struggle a bit with strong currents (I manage but I burn through a lot of air)

I am open to recommendations,

Thanks!
Gio
since you decided to diving with Mantas , you can have both diving in Nusa Lembongan and also in Komodo. Komodo is amazing we are talking about 10+Mantas or even more in ONE dive.. Nusa Penida can't beat this amount of Mantas. Since you have said you have struggle with current ..Komodo is best place to learn and develop ..wisely choose a good dive center and do daily dive with them. March is a good month. You can get easily flight from Bali to Komodo just 1hours and a bit minute+ easy travel.. Go for Komodo !!!! Manta Point there have like 2-3 dive sites that you will be easily see them and not many time current Mawan is one of them , that you should dive there. Remember strong current or not... your breathing remain the same ..relax and deep slow breath for a whole dive. You can do it. !!! check out IG @santi.tinoco he post update dive daily in Komodo.

Just return from Komodo 2 weeks ago. It was Manta-maniaa!

Our guide told us you could still see Mantas in early March in sites like Taka Makassar (Manta Point) and Mawan. Both sites are in Central Komodo.

It also depends on what is your objective or focus of the trip. During this time the North of Komodo island is very choppy and you are not able to dive the famous sites like : Crystal Rock, Castle Rock or The Shotgun (The Cauldron).

So you might not get the full Komodo experience nonetheless you can still dive the world famous site : Batu Bolong.

However, you may able to to South part of Komodo where the diving is wonderful and less off the beaten track like Manta Alley and Cannibal Rock. For us, this was our second time and we do not mind not diving in the North.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom