Komodo vs Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudy, as I reveal in my profile and on all my posts, I work for White Manta. This is the company that owns the Black Manta boat. I sometimes get assigned to that boat so I'm much to biased to be trusted to answer your question. :wink:

Rudy, as I reveal in my profile and on all my posts, I work for White Manta. This is the company that owns the Black Manta boat. I sometimes get assigned to that boat so I'm much to biased to be trusted to answer your question. :wink:

Aha, the penny drops! Did not see that earlier! Fair enough! I will keep doing a bit of research but may very well come back to you then!

Careful of the wooden boats. I dived Raja Ampat last March. One cabin in our boat was very moldy and unfortunately one of the ladies in the cabin was more sensitive to mold and had to sit out at least 3 days diving due to sinus congestion even after moving and sleeping in the dining room. Although the rest of us didn't have a problem it was noted the boat had seen better days and needed a bit of an refresh especially in the cabin bathrooms. I still had a great time diving though and it fit my budget.

Thanks for the comments and help, we have booked the black manta for a 6 day trip, decided in this as it was shorter than most other trips. It allows us to go and dive North Sulawesi as well! Can't wait to get there!

Thanks for the comments and help, we have booked the black manta for a 6 day trip, decided in this as it was shorter than most other trips. It allows us to go and dive North Sulawesi as well! Can't wait to get there!

You won't be disappointed by Black Manta - I dived Komodo with them last June and it was the best run liveaboard I've ever been on - not to mention the best diving I've ever done. (I may revise the latter opinion after Cenderawasih Bay in July or Misool next March though &#128515:wink:

North Sulawesi is a worthwhile add-on, though after Komodo Bunaken may be a slight let-down. Lembeh certainly won't let you down though, and Bangka gets good reports though I haven't been myself. Be sure to get to Tangkoko NP to see the Sulawesi crested macaques and the tarsiers while you're there.

I agree with jamesdiving. Do Lembeh after your trip and make sure to go see the tarsier monkeys which is very doable from Lembeh!! Have fun!

Diving-wise, there's nothing you in Raja Ampat that you can't find in Komodo, actually. One thing you can't find in RA though: Komodo dragons! On the other hand, if you're into birds then the birds of paradise at some of the RA island is worth a see and listen.
For me, the decision would come to what added value you want from the land-based activities, and for me the sight of male Komodo dragons fighting over the females wins any day over mosquito-laden trips over forests to catch a sight of those birds.

Diving-wise, there's nothing you in Raja Ampat that you can't find in Komodo
Ahemm... Not many wobbegongs in Komodo, not been impressed with the numbers of pygmy seahorses as well, you find them plenty in R4.
To be really objective Gerry Allen, well known marine biologist counted the most fish species on Dampier strait, around Kri island. All other assumptions are purely personal speculations.

As for nature, I do prefer looking from my Raja ampat resort bungalow at Suplhur crested cockatoos playing in the high trees up on the hills, than just staring at yellow high grass that you'll see from your Komodo resort.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom