Kona Advice, Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manta dive is so much fun - definately a must do. The mantas swim so close it bumped the flashlight I was holding over my head. Rent or wear at least a 3mm suit. If you are only diving one day do the regular boat dive plus the manta night dive.

Just got back from Kona a couple of days ago. I'd done the Manta Dive last year (with Neptune Charlies Ocean Safaris) and thought it was very unique but the swells made things a bit rough on the bottom. This time around, someone recommended the Black Water dive and Big Island Divers. They required you'd been on a night dive with them within 30 days to do Black Water so I did the Manta Ray dive again. We had 5 rays this time around but I realized that I don't really like sitting on the bottom of the ocean for 45 minutes holding a torch. I suppose it was better than being one of the three snorkelers who got sea sick on the surface.

Anyhow, the Black Water dive was fantastic. Turned my evening around. I got dropped in 5000 foot+ water, tethered to the boat with five other divers into this micro-alien soup. Biggest creatures out there were squid and the spinner dolphins feeding on them. The rest were a variety of pelagic weirdos in every direction you shined your light. It was a new perspective on the vastness of sea life in our beautiful oceans. In short, check out the Black Water diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom