Kona Manta Ray Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc:
Anyone have a recommendation for a good Manta Ray dive op in Kona? I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive single night dive to check out them big fishies. Planning on doing the night dive on Thursday or Friday of next week (3/10 or 3/11).

The recommendations I've read so far are mostly for Jack's, but it looks like they only offer a two tank dive at $115. I also saw "wanna-dive-kona" for a single dive at $69. Are they pretty good?

Thanks.

I was out with KonaHonu on June 15th.2Tank to Garden Eel cove near the airport.Saw the biggest Devil Scorpion Fish I have ever seen in my life(well over 2Ft)For the Manta Ray night dive,probably about 6 or so dive boats on site 40+ divers in the water with snorklers overhead......I expected low vis and people banging in to everything,but to my surprise,that did not happen.Sugar Ray ( 9ft Manta) showed up the night we were there and after about 40 + minutes of being so close to me I could touch him ( I didnt and please dont!!) we reluctantly returned to the boat.It was awesome!!!!
The only downside I saw Please DO NOT WEAR A SNORKEL If your on this dive!!!!!!I dont anyway and Konahonu told everyone diving to remove them.I did see divers that didnt and Sugar Ray did run into them!!!!!!!!!I could not tell which operation they went out with.But please if you see anyone on this dive trying to get in the water with a snorkel,please have them remove it for the safety of the Mantas.....that is how close they are to you!

Yeah, it's a great dive if you actually get to SEE the mantas. They arent guaranteed. I was out there with Jacks last August and we only got a simple fly by from Lefty the Manta. Other than that, it just became a routine night dive. They never guarantee the sightings FYI.

Anyone in the Kona area interested in diving with a couple of newbies in late Aug/early Sept? My fiance and I are going to be at the Outrigger Keauhoa Beach Resort in Kona and we are itching to get in the water. And of course, a great group to dive with is always a bonus!

It's not far from shore, but in the middle of nowhere. Sheer 6-10' cliffs and crashing rollers would make the exit a challenge.

Its also next to the airport so I am sure there would be a security issue related to trying a shore dive.

My gut feel is - no way! on shore diving this.

ianr33:
How far offshore are these dives? Can you do them from shore ? I dont mind swimming aways if I can save $100 !

You'd never be able to get to the airport site from the shore. The old Kona Surf has reopened as a Sheraton. They've been getting a manta or two fairly regularly lately, but not the 5 or so we've been seeing off the airport site the last month and a half. You used to be able to get in the water at a gardener's shack and swim a couple hundred yards out around the corner, but now you might have to do a surface swim all the way from the Keauhou boat ramp, maybe 350-400 yards or slightly more. I'd definitely check inside the hotel and see if I actually saw mantas feeding below before making the swim.

Back
Top Bottom