Kota Kinabalu Report: Introduction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice report. Reminds me of my old time in Hyatt Regency Kinabalu for 1 month. As a Malaysian, I thought KK is one of the better city topographically because of the waterfront. They just need to brush up on the infrastructure and landscaping a bit more.

There's an island resort located at Mantanani Besar Island. Operate by Borneo Sea Adventures... Published rate of Diving Package are RM1900 for 3 days 2 nights, inclusive of Return Land & Sea Transfer, Meals & Twin Sharing accommodation, 3 boat dives & unlimited beach dive.. As the resort are having their upgrading renovation at this moment.. A discount of 20% from Published Rate will be given...
Contact details:
bornsea@tm.net.my or bornsea@streamyx.com
pictures: http://groups.msn.com/BorneoSea and http://groups.msn.com/Mantanani

Although this is an old report but I must say that it is still pretty much accurate. I just came back from a couple of days diving with Sabah divers, and I must say that the description in the report regarding accommodations right down to the dive sites are still the way it is now. The only thing is we are not allowed to dive Pulau Sapi jetty now due to the high volume of boat traffic bringing visitors to the island. It would be nice if we could dive there since our guide also confirm the jetty is one fo the better dive sites at the island.

JonnieB,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed trip report that covers not only diving but also the shore-based logistics. Sounds like all in all it was a good trip for you.

JohnnyB: awesome report! Is late Jan - early Feb a good time to go? Weather? Visibility? Currents? Whale sharks or manta rays??

Hi,

I live and work in Kota Kinabalu and run a Tours & Travel Company called BorneoDream.com - I just thought it is important to tell you who and what I am before I go any further :wink:

The seasion in Sabah is very tropical and can change every hour. Lots of guide books will tell you there is a distinct dry and wet seasion. Well, lets just say that the wet seasion is ussally most afternoons for about 30 minutes to hour and the dry seasion is the rest of the day. However, we are effect by changes in global climate shifts and weathjer front coming in from the South China Sea. So it is worth checking if you plan to do a long distance wreck dive say tomorrow.

Diving is good all year round, but visabilty can be effect by rain fall and wash off from islands and mountains etc. As a Dive Centre Operator we will always try and take guest to the better side of islands avoiding unnecessary visabilty problems.

If you have specific questions or require more information, please contact me through the borneodream.com web site. :cool2:

Many thanks
Billy

great detail, thanks JohnnieB. Am looking for a good December venue to take my 11 yo son, we're both inexperienced, so looking for interesting but fairly easy dives - plus limited by his age to approx 12m. KK could be an option.
Thanks again

Good report, been through KK several times, and climbed Mt. Kinabalu 20 yrs ago, highest mountain in SE Asia I believe.

Was planning to travel via KK to Mabul this year but now flying direct to Tawau, your trip report makes me wish otherwise, great muck diving.

When he wrote that report, it was only 15 years since you climbed Kinabalu. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom