Kota Kinabalu Report: Introduction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder whether it would be time to post my first KK dive report circa august 1999. :wink:

(btw damnam.org was a great site for all thailand diving information, i wonder what happened to this site.)

Luko - would love to see your diving report for Kota Kinabalu trip in 1999 :wink:.

Gee13 - unfortunately the Dugongs have not been sighted at Mantanani for the past 2 - 3 years. Hopefully it's because have either moved on to pastures new to find better sea grass patches.

This is a great report about diving in Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park from Kota Kinabalu and is still fairly representative of diving in TARP today. The main differences are a wider choice of Dive Operators (including one I'm involved in) and a wider choice of diving destinations accessible from Kota Kinabalu.

Alongside lots of different coral reef dive sites in TARP there are four known WW2 wrecks (3 located 30nm north west from Kota Kinabalu) - all are large Japanese cargo ships. You can go diving around the large granite boulders and coral reefs at Mayne Rock - again, 30nm north from KK. There is also diving around coral reefs / drift diving at Pulau Tiga. And of course diving in the clear waters of Mantanani.

Whilst the diving from KK is not world class (only so many dive sites can fit on the top 10 list :wink: the diving can be surprisingly good and you can come across a rich diversity of marine life (with some good muck diving & critters). What it misses is large pelagics.

To get an idea of the quality of the diving in TARP you can look at some photos taken by Jason Isley (Scubazoo) during diving trips with ourselves in April 2011. Check out Jason's photos at https://picasaweb.google.com/billy4eggs/April2011TARPPhotosByJasonIsleyScubazoo#

Back
Top Bottom