Kyalami Expansion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it
What happened to competition improving the market?
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

The Scuba Club was already operating in Riviera/Palm beach, so would not seem to really be increasing competition. And since the new ownership has increased the price of a 2-tank dive to $110 (they are also a bit high on tank rentals too - $13/air80, $22/EANx100), this Scuba Club has gone from being slightly below market average pricing to slightly more than market average, so I would think this would not hurt your favorite. For example, other dive op prices for 2-tank dives:
  • Black Flag: $95
  • Force-E: I believe still $95
  • Narcosis Dive Co.: $105
  • Ocean Quest: $90
  • Palm Beach Scuba: $100
  • Pura Vida: $110
  • Walkers: $100
Of course, price is not everything, but I'd think they'd have to offer some really good service to cause people to switch.
Stuart Scuba (Little Deeper and Down Deep) are $95

Good list! A couple of points.

1) Force-E doesn’t run their own boats. I use Force-E all the time as a shop, but not for charters. I don’t want to book with a middle man. I want to book with the boat directly. All the others listed run their own boat or boats. Booking with a middle man can cause its own challenges even if you save a buck or two.

2) I’d be curious to know how many charters have frequent diver discounts. Many of you know that Pura Vida is my go-to charter. Not because the others aren’t great operators, but because Pura Vida best aligns with everything I’m looking for in a charter. They offer a frequent diver package. Buy 5 get 1 free. I use that exclusively. That drops my per charter price to $91.66/charter at current pricing. Do other charters in Palm Beach offer the same? Perhaps they do. Honest question because I simply don’t know.
Lots of ops offer "boat cards". The more you buy, the bigger the discount. Stuart Scuba, where i hang out, does that

Good list! A couple of points.

1) Force-E doesn’t run their own boats. I use Force-E all the time as a shop, but not for charters. I don’t want to book with a middle man. I want to book with the boat directly. All the others listed run their own boat or boats. Booking with a middle man can cause its own challenges even if you save a buck or two.

2) I’d be curious to know how many charters have frequent diver discounts. Many of you know that Pura Vida is my go-to charter. Not because the others aren’t great operators, but because Pura Vida best aligns with everything I’m looking for in a charter. They offer a frequent diver package. Buy 5 get 1 free. I use that exclusively. That drops my per charter price to $91.66/charter at current pricing. Do other charters in Palm Beach offer the same? Perhaps they do. Honest question because I simply don’t know.
On the topic of Kyalami, you can purchase 5 or 10 dive packages for $85 plus tax, which comes out to $90.10 a dive.

Lots of ops offer "boat cards". The more you buy, the bigger the discount. Stuart Scuba, where i hang out, does that
Stuart Scuba also offers veteran discounts, does this apply to charters as well?

Stuart Scuba also offers veteran discounts, does this apply to charters as well?
it does...if you ask when you book! also discounts for first responders...

The Scuba Club was already operating in Riviera/Palm beach, so would not seem to really be increasing competition. And since the new ownership has increased the price of a 2-tank dive to $110 (they are also a bit high on tank rentals too - $13/air80, $22/EANx100), this Scuba Club has gone from being slightly below market average pricing to slightly more than market average, so I would think this would not hurt your favorite. For example, other dive op prices for 2-tank dives:
  • Black Flag: $95
  • Force-E: I believe still $95
  • Narcosis Dive Co.: $105
  • Ocean Quest: $90
  • Palm Beach Scuba: $100
  • Pura Vida: $110
  • Walkers: $100
Of course, price is not everything, but I'd think they'd have to offer some really good service to cause people to switch.
Replying to my own post to note that Walker's is now up to $107.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom