La Paz / Cabo Pulmo in early July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings -

Okay, I understand early July may not be prime time in the Sea of Cortez, but it's good timing for us for a short trip, meaning 5-6 days of diving. BUT ... high quality diving! So my questions ...

Is the Cabo Pulmo diving seasonal, and if so, what is going on there in terms of marine life in early July? Does 3 days of 3 dives per day there seem about right to cover the area?

As far as La Paz, if we want to dive day boats from there, can we get to another 2-3 days of good diving? Could be schooling fish, seals, rays, dolphins, whatever. Not so much wrecks or macro ... or cattle boats. I know the shark population there has been decimated ... what a surprise!

Any tips welcome, including lodging, dive ops, boats, etc.

Thanks!

Hola !

My name is Thierry and I run scuba dive tours in the Cabo Pulmo Marine Reserve.

This is my webpage if you want more information about the diving in Cabo Pulmo: Right now, the dive conditions are still really good.

No cattle dive boat, small group attention and personalized service.

Cabo Pulmo diving - Dive trips in Baja California Sur

Have a good day !

Thierry

We were supposed to dive Socorro Island (May 25 to June 2) but Hurricane Amanada wiped out our trip and instead the boat diverted to the Sea of Cortez instead. I really regret that we did not go to Loreto. The boat went very far North (280 miles North of Cabo San Lucas) but the variety of sea life and visibility was just not there. The highlight of the trip was multiple visits (snorkel and Scuba) to the Sea Lion Colony near La Paz. IMO opinion a few dives in the Sea of Crotez at this time of year is enough.
I am happy to report that after we got off the boat, we went to Cabo Pulmo and had two great dives. On the last one we had the fortune of diving with Bull Sharks (many people did that week).
Bottom Line: If I had to spend a week in the area, I would do a couple of days at: Cabio Pulmo then La Paz, and then Loreto.

Last edited:
have you looked into Loreto? Alaska Airlines flys there and the diving is spectacular and no cattle boats. I've been visiting Loreto for weeklong trips every year since 2005. Diving Loreto Mexico | Home | Dolphin Dive Baja Rafael is my buddy and a great divemaster. good package deals with hotel and diving.

Iggy

Good to know. I'm headed to Loreto area for 10 days starting at the end of July. I've been looking forward to diving the Sea of Cortez for years now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom