ladies vs unisex bcds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, how do you inflate the wing/wings? With a low pressure hose connection as on a regular bc?

exactly the same!

There actually is a slight difference in male/female BCs. The shoulder straps for most female BCs have a slightly different shape to accomdate the breast. Several manufactures have contoured the straps to come in more from the side verse straight over the shoulder.

My wife has been diving with the Libra for 2 yrs, her only complaints were witht he tank strap not holding the tank secure all the time, plus not having a strap for setting the BC placement the same each time. My daughter on the other hand dives a Mares Ariel and loves it.

If your dive shop isnt carrying womens BCs then need to join the 21st century

I just bought the Dacor Elite, and it's working out well for me. It fits better than the "unisex" aka mens BCDs. Also, the buttons are easy to work with gloves on, and I can walk around and move with everything on. When I was using a rental BC (it was XS), it would still slide around on me. Another thing I like about it is that it's weight integrated.

I have had ZERO probs with the Genesis Athena, and know no one else who has. whats not to lioke about it, its EVERTHING! any1 else have an athen?

Waterdaughter, I cannot vouch for the brands/models you specifically ask but if you can join a local diveclub and dry try some of the different BC's the ladies use, that might give you better ideas.

On the other hand, I use both a Zeagle Ranger and a SeaQuest Diva LX, depending on the type of diving they are both confortable.

Between the two above mentioned, I would recommend you at least try the SeaQuest as it is made specifically for women. It is a weight integrated BC with weight pockets both in the front and in the back, so you can have the weight balanced better. In addition to that, the neoprene front part will accomodate most women, especially those who have a small frame but a large chest.

Maria

I would have to reccommend something along the lines of a backplate and wing. I personally have not gone that route all the way, the unpadded harness looked too rough. Luckily for me, someone at my LDS recommended Dive Rite's TransPlate (make sure you read that Plate, not PacII). Although there is a backplate(which I thought would be very uncomfortable), I find that I honestly can't feel it. The benefits are many, the one I like the best is that my tank feels very secure, both on land and in the water (the double tank straps probably don't hurt either!). I, like many women on this board am very well endowed in the chest area. This has made finding a BC that fit across the chest a big challege (no pun intended). The harness of the TransPlate is so adjustable that the size S can go from a larger person right down to one who is quite petite. I liked it because the chest strap sat above my chest and yet didn't it look like it was sticking out more than it already did.

Some people have said that because it is a back inflate it will push you forward so that you are always horizontal. I have found this to be the case only once. That time I was at the surface, it was very choppy and so I thought to myself, "Self, try adding some more air to see if you can float higher out of the water so that you can breathe without the regulator (remember we were on the surface!)." In that instance only did I ever feel like I was being pushed forward, and mind you, this was when the RecWing (55#) was almost fully inflated. All other times on the surface I have been very comfortable maintaining a vertical position or, if wanted, laid back. Under the water, I am able to achieve any positioning I want: horizontal, vertical, inverted, on my side..etc.

Well, that was a bit more long winded that I had originally intended but I think it got my point across: try the Dive Rite TransPlate. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

I started with a standard TUSA jacket style, and then went to a Zeagle Zena (made for ladies) back inflation. I loved that it can be put together in 3 parts choosing the size you need in each - the shoulders, the back & the vest. Also the stretchy vest zips up the front, so no velcro snagging my wetsuit. I bought it with the built in Octo, buttons just right for a smaller hand. It's extremely comfortable.

My suggestion as a woman that was looking for over a year for a new BC...(I had a 11 year old SCUBA Pro Vest that I finally outgrown) I looked at all of the local stores and found a limited supply of a variety of ANY womens BC's...mostly one or two max womens BC's and not too many sizes. I was going to give up and buy a BC that kinda fit...but not really SUPER comfy, until the SCUBA show came into town. If you have a SCUBA show in the immediate future...I would wait unitl you have an opportunity to check out all the different sizes and models f/unisex in one area. I tried on MANY different ones and alot that I had never even heard of. I personally tried on many unisex BC's but didn't like them. I really liked the adjustable back inflate BC's. The two that I was stuck on at the show were the Libra and the Ladyhawk. I tried them on by themselves and then with tanks and decided that the Ladyhawk was the one for me. I don't regret that decision.

Bottom line, don't be in a hurry to choose what is convenient for the person making commission off your sale...if the BC doesn't fit you...don't feel obligated...it will be you that suffer not the person that had to have a BC in stock a little longer...its your comfort and your life underwater...Also make sure that you try all BC's with a tank and weights. It DOES make a difference in the fit.

TAKE YOUR TIME!!!

Kirstin

My wife has the Dacor Extremelle and likes it very much.

Something else to consider....
if you are not happy with the selection at your local dive shop, then order off the internet. (Not to mention that it is SIGNIFICATLY CHEAPER).

My granddaughter and I have Zeagles, they work great....I have boobs, she doesnt! LOL But we seem to do great either way. Emily has a small and there is plenty of growing room for her, lots of nice adjustments.

BTW, we bought ours online from ScubaToys.com out of texas....there were awesome with us!!

Back
Top Bottom