Lake charlevoix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A pontoon boat can make for a great platform. Lots of open space to gear up easy access to the bow for mooring. Multiple exit points for big stride, including a bow exit point for easy access to the mooring line. Current models have a decent ladder on the stern stbd tube for boarding, that is likely to be a little difficult for a diver. You would likely need to ditch your tanks and fins prior to boarding. With all the access points and low freeboard retrieving your tanks is easy. As far as modifications go, I would add a ladder mount on the bow for a 4 step tree ladder and a sturdy grab rail, then add pick up truck like tank stabilizers in the privacy station area that some manufactures have. Not only would you have a great dive platform, but a great party boat for the sunset cruise. Check out the models from Avalon pontoons. Which are made in Michigan. Sorry, yes this is a plug. I believe in the boat that's why I am an investor in the company.

we rented from Sunset Sports. Great set up it was the only place I found that rented you the boat with a trailer so you were not confined to 1 lake. It was awesome diving off a pontoon. as mentioned above lots of space and storage. we had a 22ft bennington with 50hp outboard. not enough power if I was to buy one I would want more. you could do a giant stride or sit and lower yourself of the front or rear of the pontoon. the ladder on the back was a little small but it was still easy enough to get out with gear on. except fins of course. its pretty expensive to rent but when you dont have a boat it was my only option. maybe next year :)

Back
Top Bottom