Lake Mead: The Real Scoop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HammerNoMore

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ok, I just got back from a week in Vegas. I have a brother-in-law and sister-in-law there so I get out there about twice a year. Every time I see Lake Mead a little line of drool starts to slide down my chin. This is the first time it's been overly tempting because I ususally only visit during the cooler months.

The few posts I've seen on here tend to bash the diving there siting a) bad vis and b) water levels so low the interesting sites are above water.

Let's here from the locals on this one. Should I take my gear next time? The bad vis seems questionable to me as whenever I see the lake it looks much bluer than the local brown 10' vis lakes an quaries here. The second reason seems somewhat reasonable as the lake is down 35' right now (pray for snow this winter :wink: ). However, I never see any flooded towns sticking up out of the water.

James

James Goddard:
Ok, I just got back from a week in Vegas. I have a brother-in-law and sister-in-law there so I get out there about twice a year. Every time I see Lake Mead a little line of drool starts to slide down my chin. This is the first time it's been overly tempting because I ususally only visit during the cooler months.

The few posts I've seen on here tend to bash the diving there siting a) bad vis and b) water levels so low the interesting sites are above water.

Let's here from the locals on this one. Should I take my gear next time? The bad vis seems questionable to me as whenever I see the lake it looks much bluer than the local brown 10' vis lakes an quaries here. The second reason seems somewhat reasonable as the lake is down 35' right now (pray for snow this winter :wink: ). However, I never see any flooded towns sticking up out of the water.

James

James-

Being a "local" I'll try to enlighten you...

The lake is down about 75 feet from 4 years ago. Right now it's at 1135. Don't let the blue water fool you. Most of the lake is rock, the water does look blue, but this is in the shallow areas (<20 feet) and the visability is between 10-20 feet max right now. Water temp today is 71, and in the next few weeks will warm up to the low 80's. Then the algae will bloom and the vis will drop to 5 feet above the thermocline.

The town in question is St. Thomas, it is in the Overton arm of the lake (http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/st.thomas.html) and though I haven't dove that area, I heard the church steeple is above water.

The good diving can be had if you have access to a boat. There are several places that are in deep water and are still under water.

Depending on your next trip, it wouldn't hurt to bring your gear. If you have access to a car you can alway drive out and shore dive or get in contact with a few of the shops here that dive both above and below the dam. We are going out again this weekend to dive and can give a better report as we are going to the North arm of the lake.

Chris

chrisc:
The lake is down about 75 feet from 4 years ago.
Wow. I took my parents for the first time on the last trip so we did the dam thing. They said 35. It's kinda hard to guess from the white area.

chrisc:
We are going out again this weekend to dive and can give a better report as we are going to the North arm of the lake.
Great, look forward to hearing about it. As I said I usually get out about twice a year but due to the fact that both my wife and sister-in-law are pregnant at the moment we don't have anything scheduled until next September. How is the diving in the fall?

I might be going to Vegas with 2 other couples
( All non divers ) in the fall
I don't gamble but enjoy diving
Are there dive shops - sites I can contact
Thanx

Twister:
I might be going to Vegas with 2 other couples
( All non divers ) in the fall
I don't gamble but enjoy diving
Are there dive shops - sites I can contact
Thanx

I had a nice two-tank boat dive 1 1/2 years ago in Lake Mead with a charter booked through International Scuba Center in Henderson, NV (next to Vegas, on the way to Lake Mead). Here's the link to their site.

http://www.internationalscubacenter.com/index.html

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver/Nitrox

Hi James,

I spent 2 days diving Lake Mead last June, also through International SCUBA Center, and had some fabulous dives!

We dived a wreck (Merrymaker), a beautiful wall along Hoover dam (a night dive), and a party cove (Wishing Well). Viz was generally 10-15 ft., Surface temp was 70F and it was 60F at 90 ft. I got some great dive booty in the party cove--Citizen watch, Oakley sunglasses, and a rod & reel. The diving was definitely as good or better than anything we have around here in IL/MO, and this was in the mid-algae bloom season. The Divemaster told me viz is incredible if you come during the winter months.

It is an altitude dive, and oddly enough it can be quite chilly on the boat ride to and from dive sites, especially when wet (fortunately I was diving dry and very comfortable) even though air temp was 95F. I guess the wind and spray along with the dry air can cool off a body quickly.

There are also a couple great sites in the deep if you have the time to do some technical diving. I had to fly out the day after, so that was not in the cards for me.

Happy diving,
theskull

theskull:
The Divemaster told me viz is incredible if you come during the winter months.
Same old story then, you want good vis or good temp?

theskull:
It is an altitude dive, and oddly enough it can be quite chilly on the boat ride to and from dive sites, especially when wet (fortunately I was diving dry and very comfortable) even though air temp was 95F. I guess the wind and spray along with the dry air can cool off a body quickly.
I've done the LV marathon twice so I know about the temp there. Try starting a marathon in sub 40F and finishing around 80F....

Thanks for the info, I'll definitatly do the dive sometime...

James

James Goddard:
I've done the LV marathon twice so I know about the temp there. Try starting a marathon in sub 40F and finishing around 80F....

No bloody way, dude. If you run marathons, you're a far better man than I. I only run if chased.

theskull

My wife & I will be in Vegas for several days in early September (4th-9th). What are water temps & vis typically like at that time of year for Lake Mead?

Jim

chrisc:
The good diving can be had if you have access to a boat. There are several places that are in deep water and are still under water.
Chris

I might be going to Lake Mead 2nd or 3rd week in Sept with a group of non-divers, but we have boats.

But if I can't find a dive buddy, I guess I'll have to hook up with a dive charter.. anyone know anything about this one?

http://www.lakemeadscubacharters.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom