Lane Cove.... Beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crlavoie:
I knew my description would end up sounding like a generalization. Precisely the reason I avoided it in my first post. Suffice to say that "you had to be there" to understand everything.

Yeah, I wasn't doubting it was a bad scene. I've definitely had my run ins with the angry lobsterman crowd myself. Just saying reporting it was worth a try. :D

I'm from Gloucester and dive some of these sites. I mostly dive from my boat and mostly off Beverly and Manchester these days. Lanesville is just another small town on the North Shore that is losing it's residents to higher real estate prices. Cape Ann has a huge population of people that own second homes and it probably pisses them off. Add to it the fact that divers are presumed to be in their traps and you have this kind of bs behavior.

Gloucester police are on the side of the law. Call them and report this crap. I absolutely despise this kind of thing, where "locals only" intimidate or terrorize people for whatever reason. On the flip side there is a beach in Manchester where the wealthy residents post buoys that are intended to keep boaters away. The buoys are well 100 yards from the low tide mark. Totally illegal and more of the same attitude as these Lanesville twerps. The buoys often go missing, go figure....

Don't let these chicken ****'s stop you from diving there. Just bring a larger group next time. They don't own those lobsters, we all do!

Actually, I have a buddy who lives there. He warned me about the hostility -- and knows names -- months ago. showed me where they left derelict boats and cars to keep people from parking, some spraypainted 'no diving'. Said it was a few angry men who lives right there, not all lobsterman, who have chosen this axe to grind. Not the type of people you'd reason with.

It's probably true the police would rather not deal, but I guess a movement of locals who didn't like it went to the city commission. They removed all the trash, and spoke to some people. We thought that might make a difference but clearly not.

Knowing what I do about gloucester politics, don't expect changes any time soon. And be advised, as earlier posts noted, these are people looking for a fight. I say it's not worth it.

ScubaSarus:
The next bet is the chief of police and higher ups. Seems like these people know they can get away with this behavior. Thankfully they are not slashing tires if this is the case. But having a tow is a great inconvienience and expense.

Time to show up in a bus with 40 divers.

Leave nothing.

crlavoie:
My buddies and I did Lane Cove on Friday evening. This is probably my favorite Cape Ann site. Always lots of bugs and IMHO an interesting topography. Generally speaking, access is always good too....... UNTIL FRIDAY.

We got out of the water around 8:30 to find that my bro's truck had 2 flat tires. Someone ripped the valve stems right out. We never had a problem before but were advised by some neighbors that a group of locals that live on that street are known to get out of hand. We are fairly certain of the group responsible for it. To make matters worse, one of the yocals (who was completely in the wrapper)actually came down to the parking lot to start a fight with the 5 of us. No matter how we tried to diffuse the situation, he was intent on displaying his dissatisfaction with visitors or "effing outsiders" as referred to us. The tow truck (apparently there is only 1 service in Gloucester did not arrive until 12:00. Aside from that, it was actually a pretty good dive. Lots of dog fish and managed a few lobsters.

Apparently, divers are not well liked by the good people of Lanesville. Beware....

police reports are for people that get mad; dive knives are for people that get even.

if they like to play games, maybe they'll like the "where's my traps?" game.

the best part? they have to pay a diver to get their traps back.

2 wrongs dont make a right; but it sure as hell makes you feel better.

(ps: dont cut completely through the rope... you dont wanna surface with 34 buoys washed up on shore :cool: leave enough thread intact to keep the buoy attached to the line. they'll break when they're pulled to the surface!)

ooh now that is mean...

warpig:
police reports are for people that get mad; dive knives are for people that get even.

if they like to play games, maybe they'll like the "where's my traps?" game.

the best part? they have to pay a diver to get their traps back.

2 wrongs dont make a right; but it sure as hell makes you feel better.

(ps: dont cut completely through the rope... you dont wanna surface with 34 buoys washed up on shore :cool: leave enough thread intact to keep the buoy attached to the line. they'll break when they're pulled to the surface!)

Dude,
Don't even think that way. Remember, it's not ALL of them, just a few. Hurting hard working lobstermen and their families is WAY not cool. Unless you knew specifically who the traps belonged to and that they were the ones responsible for harrasing divers, but even then you would be subject to some pretty stiff fines and you would really regret it if you were caught.

I'm pretty pissed about this too, but if I saw a diver doing that to traps I'd call the cops.

John C.

jchaplain:
Dude,
Don't even think that way. Remember, it's not ALL of them, just a few. Hurting hard working lobstermen and their families is WAY not cool. Unless you knew specifically who the traps belonged to and that they were the ones responsible for harrasing divers, but even then you would be subject to some pretty stiff fines and you would really regret it if you were caught.

I'm pretty pissed about this too, but if I saw a diver doing that to traps I'd call the cops.

John C.

Cool now I don't have to post that.... :D

you still havent seemed to pick up on my dry sense of humor, have you?

lol seriously "dude"; what would you do all day if you didnt have me to lecture?

jchaplain:
Dude,

John C.

If we had broken the law it certainly didn't mean he'd do us any favors.

And we shouldn't expect favors. But I agree with the two vehicles and people taking turns as far as diving goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom