Lanier 10/29 or 10/30????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey every body. My name is Paul and I stay down in henry county. If i can work it out I would like to try a dive out at lanier with yall. I've never dove out that way before. How good is visibility? Also can any one recomend a good dive shop? I'm a newbie to diving and have to get everything but fins. If any one has some used equip. that's in good condition, that they want to part with, let me know.

Welcome to the board Paul...glad to have ya!
Hey every body. My name is Paul and I stay down in henry county. If i can work it out I would like to try a dive out at lanier with yall. I've never dove out that way before. How good is visibility?
It ranges from a few feet to well over 20 feet in the winter. Also it gets cold below the thermocline so you would need a thick wetsuit if your planning on diving deeper or during the winter.
Also can any one recomend a good dive shop? I'm a newbie to diving and have to get everything but fins.
I see you live in Henry County...I live in Lamar Co. just south of Henry Co. As far as dive shops there are plenty around Atlanta but only one in Henry county...Its in Stockbridge. Wet Set Scuba is the name. Bruce Brown is the owner. He is a really good guy but his prices are a little higher than what you can get at Divers Supply (in Macon, Doraville and Marietta). I, like most here, use a couple of different dive shops.

As far as equipment goes you may want to call Divers Supply Phone: 770-939-3483
this is the Doraville location or log onto www.divers-supply.com (Divers Supply is where I would rent my gear until I could buy it)
If any one has some used equip. that's in good condition, that they want to part with, let me know.
Keep a lookout here

Let me know if you need directions to West Bank Park at Lake Lanier.

Jeremy

Paul,
Welcome to the board. I second what Jeremy said - I try to visit my LDS, but many of the larger items I get from DS. I did just order a tank from my LDS in Athens that I hear is in, so I can't wait to go pick it up and get wet. Look forward to meeting some more divers in the area.
Brian

Heya Paul, welcome to the forum. Jeremey and Brian have already given you some solid advice.

I went out to Lanier with Kyle over the weekend to try out my drysuit. The viz apparently hadn't changed from TK and Brians dive in the previous week. It was about 5 foot in the shallows down to about 30', and got worse the deeper we went. Got into the forest and viz dropped to less than a foot, it was really bad. I turned it when I saw it got that bad. I was worried about entanglement in monofilament since we couldn't see more than a foot or so. Of course my worries became reality and I got entangled while we were down there. I signaled kyle with my light for attention, he turned around, but I cut myself free with my trusty steak knife. It was definately an interesting dive. Learned quite a bit on that dive, when viz is less than 5' at depth stay out of the forrest. Looking forward to diving with ya'll again sometime soon.

Matt

Corigan:
Heya Paul, welcome to the forum. Jeremey and Brian have already given you some solid advice.

I went out to Lanier with Kyle over the weekend to try out my drysuit. The viz apparently hadn't changed from TK and Brians dive in the previous week. It was about 5 foot in the shallows down to about 30', and got worse the deeper we went. Got into the forest and viz dropped to less than a foot, it was really bad. I turned it when I saw it got that bad. I was worried about entanglement in monofilament since we couldn't see more than a foot or so. Of course my worries became reality and I got entangled while we were down there. I signaled kyle with my light for attention, he turned around, but I cut myself free with my trusty steak knife. It was definately an interesting dive. Learned quite a bit on that dive, when viz is less than 5' at depth stay out of the forrest. Looking forward to diving with ya'll again sometime soon.

Matt

I was looking forward to diving the last Sat. of this month but with Viz reports like this I'm not so sure that I want to drive up that way for 5' and lower with depth. It will still be over a week or so but I don't think I should expect much better viz.

Anyone else still up for a dive on the 29th at Lanier?? Even if the viz is not that great it would still be a fun "get together" for us Loonie Birds. Let me know if anyone still wants to brave Lanier on the 29th.

If not Lanier then anyone want to go to Jocassee?

Jeremy

Linda and I are looking at a dive in PC on the 29th, but if that doesn't play out we'd sure consider a drive up to Jocassee . . . .

the K

I'm itching to get wet that Saturday. I'll do the low-viz of Lanier or take the drive to Jocassee. Anywhere I can get a buddy...

I'm definatelly going to get wet that Sat. If enough of us are interested then I believe that Jocassee will present us with a little better diving for the effort.

Jeremy

Would love to join you guys on the 29th, but I will by taking the wife on a cruise to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. Maybe that will get me some major brownie points.

I'm supposed to be heading down to Florida that weekend, but if things fall through I will try to make it to wherever.

Congrats on the 21st wedding anniversary Allen!

Matt

Back
Top Bottom