large mask needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freediver makes a good point about the skirt vs the frame. One thing that might help would be to actually measure the skirts across. I have an Apollo frameles that looks very much like the scubapro version. The scubapro fits ok but the Apollo is perfect for me. Obviously, you'll need to try yourself but i've noticed that the Apollo is about an 1/8 of an inch wider and the scubapro frameless seems to have one of the biggest skirts around. Try either one as a possibility.

Oh, I have a pumpkin head too :wink:

when I fit people for masks, the CrystalVu is the one I usually fit to people with pumpkin heads. What I have noticed though is that if the mask is too big for someones face, it will leak at the sides, you mention that you do NOT have a pumpkin head, so maybe you need a mask that is built for a smaller face, if a SP dealer is near you, try the Ventana, or the Tusa Xpert (TM3800Q)

To me, it sounds like the mask is too large for your head, I'm not too hot on the purge nosepiece.

I found a shop with a Visulator in stock about an hour drive from here. I'm thinking to drive up there to check it out as I don't want to buy a mask sight unseen. If that doesn't work, then its time to hit the other 2 local shops and just trying on everything. Odd that the least expensive piece of gear I have is the one giving me the most trouble.

It might be the least expensinve but it is probally the most important. I use the pana geo also and it fits my melon of a head so who knows

surfsidedav:
My current mask is a Scubapro Crystal Vu w/purge. It tends to leak around the upper lip or the sides if I turn my head too quickly. I've tried a couple of friends who have the same mask with the same problem. Also tried adjusting from loose to tight to no avail. I'm a big guy so I'm starting to think the "one size fits all" isn't exactly true. No, I don't have a pumpkin head before the jokes start flying. Does anybody have any suggestions for a mask that comes in sizes or maybe one that is larger than normal?
I've done a couple of searches but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I suggest trying masks without the purge feature. It tends to be a gadget and is less than sturdy. Try masks by placing them on your face and inhale gently through the nose. If it seals and stays in place without you having to constantly inhale it is a good fit.

I am a fairly large person too and does required large masks also. I have 2 masks which works great:

Mares X-Vision (can consider PureVison if you are interested)
Oceanic Shadow (if you are looking for masks with low volume)

Mares X-Vision seems to be able to suit a wide range of face sizes. A friend of mine has a small face size and X-Vision also works well for her. For this reason, my Mares X-Vision is normally the spare mask I take with my on dive trips as I can lent it to others in case their mask failed. But I know some people who have problems with X-vision too. So as above posts state, there isn't really a "one-size-fit-all".

surfsidedav:
My current mask is a Scubapro Crystal Vu w/purge. It tends to leak around the upper lip or the sides if I turn my head too quickly.

I had the same problem with the Scubapro Crystal Vu. Works fine for snorkeling, but while diving it does leak. I have a pretty big face and have had great success with the Cressi Big Eyes. I'm thinking of getting a second one as a backup. Good Luck.

I tried an X-vision, but I had my mind set on the Seavision, so that was my backup!

Nice mask though!

oceanmaster z1 purge. this thing is big and sturdily built

Take a look at the Tusa Liberator X-Ten. It seems to be a good choice for larger heads.

Back
Top Bottom