Last minute plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giggi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, my friend and I are flying in to Cancun first thing tomorrow morning, and will be staying on Isla Mujeres. I've been to Cozumel 4 times, and while my original stay in Isla Mujeres was only supposed to be 4 days, we decided to stay an extra day, so now I'm thinking about shuttling over to Coz, maybe to dive, maybe to visit a friend or two.

However, I have a few questions: Is it difficult to get to Cozumel from Isla Mujeres? Is there a ferry that goes directly, or do I have to go back to the mainland, then ferry from PDC? Is it safe for a woman to travel alone? (Sorry for my ignorance on the last question, but I have always travelled internationally with my husband so it has never been an issue.) I do speak enough Spanish to get by, and also carry myself with confidence, so I'm not necessarily worried about the task of getting around...I'm more worried about the harassment factor.

Anyone have any input? Should I just scrap the whole idea and hold out for my next visit?

So, my friend and I are flying in to Cancun first thing tomorrow morning, and will be staying on Isla Mujeres. I've been to Cozumel 4 times, and while my original stay in Isla Mujeres was only supposed to be 4 days, we decided to stay an extra day, so now I'm thinking about shuttling over to Coz, maybe to dive, maybe to visit a friend or two.

However, I have a few questions: Is it difficult to get to Cozumel from Isla Mujeres? Is there a ferry that goes directly, or do I have to go back to the mainland, then ferry from PDC? Is it safe for a woman to travel alone? (Sorry for my ignorance on the last question, but I have always travelled internationally with my husband so it has never been an issue.) I do speak enough Spanish to get by, and also carry myself with confidence, so I'm not necessarily worried about the task of getting around...I'm more worried about the harassment factor.

Anyone have any input? Should I just scrap the whole idea and hold out for my next visit?

I'm pretty sure that you'll have to go back through Cancun, travel overland to PdC, and catch the ferry to Cozumel. I'd count on about 4 hours each way; it might not be worth it to do it all in one day.

Perfectly safe for women traveling alone, but like anywhere, just use common sense and a little caution.

From Isla to Cozumel you'll need to ferry to Puerto Juarez, then get down to Playa del Carmen (bus, collectivo, shared ride or taxi... price ranges from $5 to about $60), and then take the ferry over to Cozumel (120 pesos each way). Factoring in traffic on 307 and waiting time for ferries, you're looking at about 3hrs each way. Way too much hassle for a day trip, IMO.

Isla is like a mini version of Cozumel. If your trip is just 5 days, stay where you are and enjoy it. The diving isn't Cozumel, but it's a great little island.

Perfectly safe for women traveling alone, but like anywhere, just use common sense and a little caution.

From Isla to Cozumel you'll need to ferry to Puerto Juarez, then get down to Playa del Carmen (bus, collectivo, shared ride or taxi... price ranges from $5 to about $60), and then take the ferry over to Cozumel (120 pesos each way). Factoring in traffic on 307 and waiting time for ferries, you're looking at about 3hrs each way. Way too much hassle for a day trip, IMO.

Isla is like a mini version of Cozumel. If your trip is just 5 days, stay where you are and enjoy it. The diving isn't Cozumel, but it's a great little island.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to hear to make my decision. I'll hang out and enjoy Isla for Isla...maybe catch a dive while I'm there, and spend that extra time soaking up the sun.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to hear to make my decision. I'll hang out and enjoy Isla for Isla...maybe catch a dive while I'm there, and spend that extra time soaking up the sun.

That sounds like a good plan. From what I've heard, discounting the diving Isla Mujeres sounds like a throwback to Cozumel 20 years ago. It's too small to attract the cruise ships' and big developers' attentions. I'd love to go there some time.

Give us a report when you get back, especially on the eating options, OK?

That sounds like a good plan. From what I've heard, discounting the diving Isla Mujeres sounds like a throwback to Cozumel 20 years ago. It's too small to attract the cruise ships' and big developers' attentions. I'd love to go there some time.

Give us a report when you get back, especially on the eating options, OK?

You betcha! I'm sure I'll be twitching to be that close to Cozumel without setting foot on the island, but I have also heard from some of the people in our group that topside on Isla Mujeres is very much like Cozumel was 20 years ago, and since everyone seems to rave about how great Coz was 20 years ago.... well you get the picture. If I'm not diving, I'm participating in my second favorite vacation activity...gluttony!

Ditto. Have a wonderful time!! Trip report + photos please!! Bon voyage!! Be safe!

I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures, and may even post some of the clean ones. The other pictures may be sold to the highest bidder. :eyebrow:

Giggi:
how great Coz was 20 years ago
Just so that nobody gets the wrong idea, Coz is still great... just different than it was 20 years ago. :D

Have a great trip. Next time, plan a full week in Coz next time.

Just so that nobody gets the wrong idea, Coz is still great... just different than it was 20 years ago. :D

Well to clarify, I never visited Coz 20 years ago, but I've heard how wonderful it was. I fell in love with her on my first trip in 2002. I didn't mean that she's anything less than wonderful right now!

Have a great trip. Next time, plan a full week in Coz next time

Thanks! It was awesome!!!!! Next time, I'm thinking two weeks - one on Isla Mujeres, and one on Cozumel.

Trip report is out on the Mexico board.

Back
Top Bottom